Firmware Upgrade Guide to R&R and Program V2 Controller Bd

Discuss ordering and installation of an upgraded V2 Controller Board
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Firmware Upgrade Guide to R&R and Program V2 Controller Bd

Post by chas »

6/23/08 Update: I created a manual for installation of the Progressive Preinfusion option. I liked a couple of things I added to that manual so I added them to the Programmable Preinfusion Installation Manual as well.

6/20/08 Update: Jason at Chris Coffee found some errors and requested that I add a couple of things. I've updated the version below and renamed the file the same as the document title on page 1.

OK, here's my V2 Controller Upgrade Guide which explains how to remove and replace the V2 Controller Board. It also covers setting the new temperature offset and programming the preinfusion. I previously uploaded scans of the documentation I was provided for the offset and preinfusion programming. I tried to restate those instructions and add a little extra value to the description based on my own testing.
LaSpaziale2008FirmwareUpgradeManual.pdf
(1010.08 KiB) Downloaded 1189 times
For reference, here are the original instructions sheets that come with the controller board upgrade:
V2PreinfusionProgramming.pdf
(415 KiB) Downloaded 920 times
V2TempOffset.pdf
(17.18 KiB) Downloaded 841 times
Last edited by chas on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Niko

Re: Firmware Upgrade Guide to R&R and Program V2 Controller Bd

Post by Niko »

Nice work, Chas!
There's going to be a quiz on this later so everyone download this and study :D
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

When you can do it blindfolded THEN you can order your upgrade!
Chas
Hottop P/B
bluesman13

Post by bluesman13 »

I guess the question is, what differences are there (taste wise) with the pre-infusion?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

You'll find those discussions in this forum:

phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=47

I'm trying to keep this area strictly to discussions about installation and configuration of the controller board
Chas
Hottop P/B
michael
God Shot

Post by michael »

chas

fantastic 8) 8) 8)
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

When you reassemble pay attention to the way the wires going inside the box fit in the cut out so you have enough free play to reposition the box. I found it was easy to loosen some of the plugs inside the box when you are finagling the box back into position. Definitely fire up the machine while the covers are still off so you know everything is working correctly. When I checked my machine the steam boiler was heating but not filling. Not a good thing. Pulled the box back out, firmly seated all plugs & rerouted the wires at the cut out. Problem solved.
RobertK

Post by RobertK »

Thank you for posting these instructions. I got my new V2 a month before they released the upgrade :x and am just now getting the hang of using it. I am not at all eager to dismantle the machine so soon but I think I can tackle it with the use of these guides. After waiting so long to get this awesome machine and all the trouble I went through to hook it up (major water supply fiasco) I want to get the best out of it that is possible.
RK
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

RobertK wrote:Thank you for posting these instructions. I got my new V2 a month before they released the upgrade :x and am just now getting the hang of using it. I am not at all eager to dismantle the machine so soon but I think I can tackle it with the use of these guides. After waiting so long to get this awesome machine and all the trouble I went through to hook it up (major water supply fiasco) I want to get the best out of it that is possible.
RK
Well at least you won't have to pay for the upgrade. I'd suggest taking a few pics of the board/wiring before undoing everything so you will remember the correct wire routing & where the plastic wire ties that you will be removing & replacing go. So far the part I like best about the P/I is that you can turn it off. After a few half hearted experiments that is just what I did. No time or interest in playing with all the variables right now so I went back to making the same great Espresso I was getting before the upgrade.
RobertK

Post by RobertK »

Well that's encouraging! I gathered from the others that a 3 second P/I seemed to make a big difference. I don't have a ton of time for fiddling either, but I'll be gone next week so at least I won't be without coffee if they can get it back to me by the time I'm back. (if I can get the machine back together, that is!). I will take your advice about the photos, good idea.

Thanks again.
RK
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

RobertK wrote:Well that's encouraging! I gathered from the others that a 3 second P/I seemed to make a big difference. I don't have a ton of time for fiddling either, but I'll be gone next week so at least I won't be without coffee if they can get it back to me by the time I'm back. (if I can get the machine back together, that is!). I will take your advice about the photos, good idea.

Thanks again.
RK
I'm sure it may but I didn't see any major improvement in my pours, in fact it was just the opposite but as I said I only tried it a couple times. I'll get back to it when things cool down & I've polished off some of the interesting non Espresso coffees I'm currently drinking.
italyhound

Post by italyhound »

Chas

The links in the instruction pdf are from the old site (finding out temp offset, etc) . Can you provide currently active links?

Thanks

Evan
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Thanks for the head's up. I'll try to fix that sometime today. In the interim, all those related documents are easily found in the S1 sites links at the upper right of this page.
Chas
Hottop P/B
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

OK, I've fixed the broken links in several documents on the S1V2 home page.
Chas
Hottop P/B
AlbyAlby

Post by AlbyAlby »

Wow its been awhile since I visited this forum and there's a controller upgrade available? That is amazing... Can anyone tell me where I can order the controller upgrade?
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

You have to send your control board & a $50 payment to Chris Coffee & they will update the board.

Return to “V2 Controller Board Upgrade Q&A”