Pump

Did your new Mini work fine initially but have an in warranty (year one) problem later. Post here for advice. Later report on your fix. Posted photos documenting repairs are encouraged.
Terri

Pump

Post by Terri »

I have owned the Mini for a few weeks. On 2 occasions the pump has not worked. Both times we pushed on the water tank a bit and the pump kicked in. Has anyone else experieced this?
Thank You!
Weska

Post by Weska »

You are in the vanguard here, Terri. I can't help you from experience, but I could speculate that you've got a switch that prevents the pump from working until it feels the reservoir pressing on it with sufficient weight.

Maybe it senses an empty reservoir if a full one is put in a little cockeyed. If careful positioning of the reservoir doesn't make this puzzle better (and I expect it will), then you should probably seek advice from the seller.
Niko

Post by Niko »

There must be some type of magnetic sensor to trip a switch to the pump. What happens is sometimes there might be a tiny pinhole in that floating mechanism which causes it to sink to the bottom of the reservoir which results in telling the pump it's out of water when it really isn't.
In other words, try poking that little floating disc or ball (or whatever it may be in the Mini) with a BBQ skewer (the long wooden type) while the water is in there to dislodge any air that my be stuck in it.
I had this happen to my Anita a few times, it's actually normal when the machine stays idle for long periods of time.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Terri:

Did you see this post:
wforum/viewtopic.php?t=600

This was for the reservoir low sensor, but I suspect there is another sensor to ensure that the reservoir is inserted that has a similar issue.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Terri

Thank You

Post by Terri »

:D Thank you all for your replies! Terri
calmaniac

Post by calmaniac »

Terri,

When you have the problem is the "low water" LED coming on? This is the first LED to the left of the ON/STBY LED.

If the "low water" LED is coming on, this is a problem with the sensor and can be remedied by gently bending the sensor housing forward. The sensor is attached to a piece of sheet metal that can be bent. As a diagnostic, you can remove the reservoir and place a magnet on the sensor (place with machine unplugged) and then see if the "low water" LED goes off with the magnet. The water level detector is just a magnet attached to a float inside the reservoir.

If the "low water" LED is not coming on when you have the problem, it suggets the problem may be in the coupling that alows water to flow from the reservoir to the tubing. The coupling has to be correctly oriented to allow water flow, so perhaps yours is a bit more demanding.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Terri:

Sorry to hear about this recurring issue. Based on the repeat nature of this and the fact that you are not the only one to see it, I am moving this thread to the in-warranty area of the Mini-VII forum.

Please keep us updated on this.
Chas
Hottop P/B
Terri

Pump

Post by Terri »

I guess I should explain the problem a little better! Occasionally it will not pick up water from the resivoir. If you press the tank back, it will start pumping the water. The pump is running the entire time. It has only happened three times, and has not happened since my first post.
Terri
oton

Re: Pump

Post by oton »

Today I had a problem with the pump.

I removed the bestcup filter (it's old). I don't have more cartridges, so I just left the filter adapter and I filled the water tank. After a few shots the pump has started to do a muffled noise and no water came out of the group or steam wand. The tank water level was low, however the low water led was off. I filled the tank again. Tried to run water from the group, nothing, and pump muffled noise again. I empty and refilled the water tank again and the pump has started to fill the boilers. I have been running water for a while for the group (without showers screens) and sometimes it leaves a little bit of air. I empty a full tank of water and sometimes the group still release air.. :|. What's happening? Should I remove the cartridge adapter of the tank? In the water tank pic of Chris website - http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/hom ... inivivaldi - I see a plastic thing ..it's necessary? I don't have it.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Why not just buy a new cartridge? I thought they were readily available in Europe.
oton

Post by oton »

Yep. I found where I can get new cartridges, it has been not easy as going to the supermarket and buy them. I'll get them as soon as Endo tells me if he wants some. :roll:

Right now I have none.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

oton wrote:Today I had a problem with the pump.

I removed the bestcup filter (it's old). I don't have more cartridges, so I just left the filter adapter and I filled the water tank. After a few shots the pump has started to do a muffled noise and no water came out of the group or steam wand. The tank water level was low, however the low water led was off. I filled the tank again. Tried to run water from the group, nothing, and pump muffled noise again. I empty and refilled the water tank again and the pump has started to fill the boilers. I have been running water for a while for the group (without showers screens) and sometimes it leaves a little bit of air. I empty a full tank of water and sometimes the group still release air.. :|. What's happening? Should I remove the cartridge adapter of the tank? In the water tank pic of Chris website - http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/hom ... inivivaldi - I see a plastic thing ..it's necessary? I don't have it.
If I remember correctly from when I wrote the Chris Coffee version of the VII Mini Manual, it describes a start up process for when you need to prime the pump and/or refill the boilers. Did you try that process?
Chas
Hottop P/B

Return to “Mini In Warranty Issues”