Metal Shavings from Brew Boiler

Did your new Mini work fine initially but have an in warranty (year one) problem later. Post here for advice. Later report on your fix. Posted photos documenting repairs are encouraged.
symbology

Metal Shavings from Brew Boiler

Post by symbology »

So, I get home this afternoon and wan to make myself a Cap. I pull some water through the group into a cup to preheat everything. I notice some strange stuff in the bottom of the cup and notice that they are metal shavings. They are straight and about 4-5mm long. They look like chrome plating, or chrome plated brass. Not sure.

This thing is 5 weeks old and maybe my 5th issue with it. Not what I had in mind.......

Thoughts?
symbology

Re: Metal Shavings from Brew Boiler

Post by symbology »

I just went back to my spouted PF to play around with it, and I swapped spouts from my double / single PFs. Could this have come from that? The shavings seem very straight, but after the 3 pieces came out everything seems clean. I pulled the group apart and cleaned it up and all seems well.

Where did this come from?
Endo

Post by Endo »

Sounds like some of the plating on the spout threads came off when you screwed on a different spout for the first time. Pretty common. I wouldn't worry.
symbology

Post by symbology »

Endo wrote:Sounds like some of the plating on the spout threads came off when you screwed on a different spout for the first time. Pretty common. I wouldn't worry.
Yeah, this must have been it. I have not seen any bits of plating since.

Thanks...

Return to “Mini In Warranty Issues”