Steam Boiler

Did you have a bad "out-of-box" experience with your Mini? Describe it here and report back with the final resolution.
symbology

Steam Boiler

Post by symbology »

On my me MVII the steam boiler pressure release valve is constantly hissing. Well, not constantly, but as the machine cools for a few seconds it starts to hiss, almost like a pulsing/hiss sound. When the boiler heater turns back on and it reaches full temp, it seems close and there is no sound. Then a few seconds later after it cools a little bit it starts to make the sound again. Also, the boiler drops pressure rather quickly and the heater is back on in what seems like 10 seconds.

Is there just something stuck in the valve and is there a simple way to fix this?

Thanks,

Allen
Endo

Re: Steam Boiler

Post by Endo »

MAN! You're having your share of issues. :shock:

Mine takes about 10 to 15 minutes before the pressure drops to the bottom. Sounds like you've got a leak.

I would try and add a little soapy water around the top boiler fittings to find the source first.

It's usually the vacuum breaker. I would try removing the vacuum breaker and re-installing. I find it will leak past the threads (hiss) unless you get the right number of teflon wraps. Remove all the white teflon tape, re-wrap with about 4 wraps or more, and re-install.

The good news is, you must be feeling more comfortable maintaining your machine. We all need to do it eventually, so the practice will come in handy. :grin:
symbology

Post by symbology »

I know "where" it is coming from. (well I think)... It is coming from the valve that sits inside the copper cup right on top of the boiler. If I take a small towel and hold it over this copper cup / valve I can hardly hear the sound. It does seem to seal under full pressure, but then within a few seconds it will start to hiss, and it is a pulsating hiss until the heater kicks on again.

I turned the machine off a while ago and I will let it cool down. Then, I will pull that valve and take a look.

Thanks for all the help.

-Allen
Endo

Post by Endo »

symbology wrote:I know "where" it is coming from. (well I think)... It is coming from the valve that sits inside the copper cup right on top of the boiler.
That's the vacuum breaker. A little piston inside shoots up and seals the valve above 1 bar absolute. It re-opens on cooling to avoid forming a vacuum in the boiler. The copper cup just keeps some of the spray contained so it can evaporate off. I still think it's leaking through the threads due to a poor teflon tape job. On older machines, they can gum up and hiss, but on a new machine it would be rare.

Still, it you need to replace it, it's no big deal. Just a $8 item like this:

http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/hom ... eakervalve
Bitches_Brew

Post by Bitches_Brew »

Endo wrote: I still think it's leaking through the threads due to a poor teflon tape job. On older machines, they can gum up and hiss, but on a new machine it would be rare.

Still, it you need to replace it, it's no big deal. Just a $8 item like this:

i wouldn't say rare. mine took a crap within the first month of ownership. if his machine is new he shouldn't have to buy anything.

CC also sent me this one instead. i think it's built a little better.

symbology

Post by symbology »

Fixed it. Pulled it apart and found that a strand of teflon tape worked its way up the valve and would not allow it to seat properly. It took a few tries to get it back on without leaking around the threads, but she seems to be holding pressure now. :) Had to build up a considerable amount of tape as Endo suggested.

I sure wish I was pulling a shot, instead of doing all this darn work to it though. :(

Thanks again for all the help.

Return to “Mini Day One Problems”