Timer Problems, Shuts Down without the timer etc.....

Did you have a bad "out-of-box" experience with your Mini? Describe it here and report back with the final resolution.
symbology

Timer Problems, Shuts Down without the timer etc.....

Post by symbology »

Very frustrating dealing with this machine. I cannot get it to turn on with the $200 timer. Yes, the timer switch is in the ON postition.

Help!!!
Last edited by symbology on Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
symbology

Re: Timer Problems, Shuts Down without the timer etc.....

Post by symbology »

To top that off, I am only getting 3 bar of pressure while back flushing. And it takes a while to even get to that point.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Have you read through the manual linked below and ensured that the timer is set up accordingly?

Also, there is a short timer "extension cord" that is coiled up and then nylon cable tied in place behind the front panel. This cord goes to the controller board. The timer itself plugs into this extension cable. You should probably remove the two screws holding on the front panel (chrome panel that the pressure gauges stick through) and verify a good connection between the timer's plug and the extension cable.

You stated that you already checked that the Timer switch on top of the controller board's black box is in the ON position. If that is true AND the cable is plugged in then it is most likely something with your programming. It's not the most intuitive process I've ever seen. I've never heard of anyone getting a bad timer. I hope you're not the first and I doubt that will turn out to be the case.

s1v2/images/Vivaldi%20Timer%20Instructions.pdf
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
symbology

Post by symbology »

The timer was installed by CCS and was attached to the machine before it arrived.

As for the timer, well I awoke to a machine that was "running", yay. However, I still have no pump pressure.

Thanks for the help.
symbology

Post by symbology »

It seems to me that the timer needed to run a full day before it would work properly. It would not turn the machine on, even after about 5-6 attempts (on the first night). During this time, when I turned on the machine manually, it would only run for about 5-10 minutes and then the group boiler would shut off. The steam boiler would stay on.

On day #2, I awoke to an up and running MVII and as far as the timer and running this machine manually, all is well. It seems like it to a day / cycle of the timer before it really started to work.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

As far as I know all the timer is capable of is turning the entire machine On and Off. I'm not sure how it could just turn one boiler off.

At any rate the issue has resolved itself which is what matters. We'll have to chalk it up to Italian engineering!
Chas
Hottop P/B
symbology

Post by symbology »

Yeah, I don't know. The first night with the machine it would not run correctly. I setup a daily schedule and I could not get Thursday to turn on. I even tried to reset the 1st on session for Thursday to be 10 minutes into the future. Nothing. I worked on it till about 11:30 when it was finally time to get some sleep. I woke up the next morning and the machine was running and it has been fine since. Maybe my leaking hose and the pump pressure issues where what was shutting off the brew boiler? Don't know.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Now that I think about it more, I have a vague recollection when I used to have a VII with the timer that on first use the program didn't work until after midnight. I'm not sure if this is a first programming thing or every time you change the program. I don't think I ever changed the programmed On/Off times after my initial setting.

I did occasionally have to update the time because it slowly drifted off and when the US changed the dates for DST, I had to change the time twice a year but doing that didn't impact timer operation.

I think it's on March 12-13 that we change to DST this year. It would be great if you could do any experiment for me. Could you could enable DST mode if you haven't already (I think the timer calls it "Summer Time On/Off") and let me know whether it changes or not? It would be good to document if the newer ones change on the right date or if LaSpaz has never updated the code.

As I noted in the manual, if the DST change occurs on the old date,s it is best to turn the function off. With it Off you only have to reset the time twice a year. If it is ON you have to change the time four times a year. Also, note that anytime you do go in an change the time for any reason, SummerTime mode automatically turns itself back on. So the time change operation becomes: 1) Set time 2) Turn Summertime OFF.
Chas
Hottop P/B
symbology

Post by symbology »

chas wrote:Now that I think about it more, I have a vague recollection when I used to have a VII with the timer that on first use the program didn't work until after midnight. I'm not sure if this is a first programming thing or every time you change the program. I don't think I ever changed the programmed On/Off times after my initial setting.
Yeah, that sounds just like my experience. The first day things just did not work. After that, no issues with the timer at all.

Return to “Mini Day One Problems”