Portafilter Blues

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
SnowDragon

Portafilter Blues

Post by SnowDragon »

Any tips on how to remove the filter from the handle.

The retaining clip is pretty tight and I struggle to remove it when I want to clean it.

I removed once by pushing a chopstick through the bottom, but I fear that will bend the filter.

I thought of just removing the retaining clip? Or is that a no-no? Or does it get looser after a while?

SD :sign2:
admin
Site Admin

Re: Portafilter Blues

Post by admin »

Check this thread, as you can see this issue has been kicked around since the S1 was first released. BTW: I re-found it by searching on Portafilter Spring:

phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=51&hilit=portafilter+spring
S1 Cafe Admin
http://www.s1cafe.com
SnowDragon

Post by SnowDragon »

Thanks again.

I will tweak the retainer for now and definitely will get some bottomless.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I only use the bottomless Portafilter but same retainer clip/same issue. I did remove the clip when I was dosing into the basket but now I set the entire P/F on the stand under my doser & dose into the entire assy. Much easier & I haven't had any reason to remove the basket in months.
PBL
Espresso

Post by PBL »

Yesterday when I was cleaning the machine I took a look at taking the baskets out of the single and double portafilters. After a couple of practices, it comes out real easy with a butter knife and a quick flick beteen the edge of the filter basket and the portafilter if you are right above one of the two wide lock in edges on the portafilter. Just leaverage off the lock in edge of the pf and pry. It usually opens up about a quarter inch and then you can just lift the basket out with your fingers. :o
Vivaldi S1 and my buddy Rocky
SnowDragon

Post by SnowDragon »

Yeah that's it, a butter knife. See, I knew there was a specialized tool out there somewhere.

But seriously, you're right that's a good technique. Thanks for the tip.

I also tweaked the retainer and it's coming out easier now. :notworthy:

Return to “Mini General Q&A”