Indent in puck

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
applepod124
Cappuccino

Indent in puck

Post by applepod124 »

When I remove my portafilter after pulling a shot, there is an indented circle in the middle, i'm assuming this may be caused by my dosing, which is 18 grams. I tried with 14 grams, but still get an indentation after the extraction. I'm not sure what size my basket is, but i'd guess its a double. How can I correct this problem? Different basket, lower dose, different shower screen?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Indent in puck

Post by chas »

If the bolt head indentation really bothers you, there are really only two options:

1) reduce coffee load until it no longer occurs. If the result is less coffee than you want/need to use, then use a triple basket so you can get the dose you want.

2) Purchase a replacement bolt that has a lower profile; i.e. doesn't stick down as far. (If you use the search function, you will find a long thread about this from back in the original S12V1 days.) I actually did this in my S1V1 Pre-triple basket days using a hex head stainless steel replacement screw. Other folks actual ground down the head thickness on their stock bolts.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
goodboyr
Barista

Post by goodboyr »

I'm much happier now that I have the new bottomless and triple basket from CCS. Its easier to tamp, and very consistent. And of course no indents.
Bob
La Spaziale Dream and Baratza Sette 270W
applepod124
Cappuccino

Post by applepod124 »

I'll be purchasing a triple basket/bottomless portafilter soon, so that'll fix the problem. I'm curious what the difference is between the precision and non-precision baskets at CCS. Is the $10 extra worth the precision basket?
rhinoevans
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by rhinoevans »

I bought both, the basket and the precision group screen. Really like the triple , but not sure the group screens better. Look better, buy every once and awhile i will have a tiny stream of coffee that comes off at about a 45 degree angle and sometimes is outside the cup.

Return to “Mini General Q&A”