Newbie Shot Making Routine Help

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
Pryz

Newbie Shot Making Routine Help

Post by Pryz »

Apologies in advance if this has been covered, but I have been reading this board for quite a while and can't seem to come across what I am looking for. Looking for some shot making routine help, if possible. A little background info:

- Upgraded to a mini from Silvia/Rocky a month or so ago (had the Rocky/Silvia for ~3 years). Looking for a new grinder, but that's another story.
- Generally make a couple capps each for my wife and I in the morning, occasional straight shots in the afternoon.
- Mini running in 20 amp mode
- Usually using Black Cat - Machine set at 93 degrees.

The machine usually warms up for half an hour (at least usually a fair bit longer). Turn the steam boiler on a few minutes before I am ready to go. I grind, dose and tamp ~17 or ~17.5 grams (weighed on a 0.1 gram, medical quality scale) into two double baskets. I have the double cup button set a little long, and I use it for a warming flush with the PF locked in. I then pull the PF and load the basket while waiting for the temp to come back to 93. Start my shot. While it is running, I froth 3-4 ounces of milk in a 16 oz Motta pitcher. Repeat process from the warming flush for the second cappa (mine, you always have to serve your wife first, of course).

Here's the issue: Quite often during my shot, my temperature light starts blinking and the boiler comes back on to heat up. Is that normal? Shouldn't the mini be able to stay at 93 with the light lit for a double shot? Any help of any kind (routine included) would be appreciated.

Jeff
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Newbie Shot Making Routine Help

Post by chas »

Based on my temperature profiling tests and assuming that the offset for your machine is properly set, it takes two warm-up flush shots to get a stable temperature output if the S1 has been sitting for 5 minutes or longer. Once you have done that, you can pull back-to-back shots as long as you want with no further warm-up shots. If you are doing one warm-up shot then giving you wife the 2nd shot, she is getting the inferior shot and you are getting the good shot. (No criticism there, that's what I do! 8) )

It is normal for the temperature to drop 3-4C on the front panel while pulling a shot. The temperature probe is on the opposite end of the boiler from the group head and near where the cold water enters the boiler once you start pulling a shot. However, the water temperature exiting the group remains right on target.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Pryz

Re: Newbie Shot Making Routine Help

Post by Pryz »

Thanks, Chas. I will try it. I always wondered if I was short changing my wife. :)

Return to “Mini General Q&A”