Should I switch to 20 amp setting?

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
slovan

Should I switch to 20 amp setting?

Post by slovan »

I am currently running in 15 amp mode on the mini even though the kitchen outlets have a 20 amp breaker. My reason why is because we also have a Zojirushi water boiler that is on 24/7. As far as kitchen appliances, we have a mixer, food processor, blender and grinder that could be used in conjunction with the above. Are there any concerns that it might be too much of a load if I switch to 20 amp on the mini? TIA.
MDL
Barista

Re: Should I switch to 20 amp setting?

Post by MDL »

If all of your kitchen outlets are on a single 20A circuit you could generate an overload in 20A mode with the Vivaldi if numerous other loads were active when the Vivaldi was drawing maximum power (i.e. when both boilers are heating at the same time and the pump was running). Unless you have felt that running in 15A mode was an issue I would leave it that way and not worry about overloading and popping the breaker.
slovan

Post by slovan »

Thanks for the response! I was just seeing if I could use it as it was designed for. I don't think I am missing out on anything in 15 amp mode but wanted to make the most of it if I have it. :)
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

I have always run my Vivaldi in 20A mode so I can't speak to 15A mode at all. I anticipate that the machine heats up faster in 20A mode since both elements can operate at the same time. Once equilibrated I would also expect that you can make more beverages in rapidly in 20A mode but given the steam capacity of the boiler I don't expect that is a bid deal unless you are trying to make drinks for a mob that is lined up.

My 20A circuit only has the Vivaldi and the coffee grinder on it so I don't have any overload issues.
GDK
God Shot

Post by GDK »

Assuming you have dual sockets in your kitchen (above the kitchen counter), it is very likely that all upper receptacles are connected to one phase while the lower counterparts. are on the other. This is a configuration that can help avoid overloading if all kitchen appliances are near a single socket (or a pair of). You can usually tell if this is the case - if there are a pair of 20A breakers that are being switched on and off simultaneously (paired), then you may have what I described. Find out which phase your heater is running on and use a socket connected to the other for your coffee machine. Another easy way to tell if this is the case is to use a voltmeter (only if you know what you are doing) and measure voltage between the actives on the two socket of the pair. If voltage is 0, the two sockets are running off the same phase. If it is 240V, they are running on different phases.

Hope that helps.

Return to “Mini General Q&A”