Rusted water tank connector

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
yooncs

Rusted water tank connector

Post by yooncs »

Hello,
While cleaning up my Vivaldi's water tank, I have found that the connecting pipe inside the water tank are rusted(?). I heard that this happens when using citric acid but I only have been rinsing it with mild dish soap. Does anyone have a similar experience? Did I just consume all those missing chrome parts? :shock:
Attachments
IMG_0633.jpg
IMG_0633.jpg (174.16 KiB) Viewed 6416 times
Endo

Re: Rusted water tank connector

Post by Endo »

The plating is pretty bad (and thin) on this cheap part.

Not much you can do about it. Luckly it's copper underneath so you can simply strip the chrome off with some citric acid and sandpaper and leave it unfinished like that. It's no big deal since it looks nice enough this way and besides, it's hidden away in the reservoir so nobody will ever see it except you.
yooncs

Post by yooncs »

Thanks Endo. I've asked Chris Coffee to send me the replacement part but will follow your suggestion when the new part fails also.

I'm starting to get worried that the chrome plating was dissolved in water which I was drinking. Is that chemically/biologically possible?
Endo

Post by Endo »

It comes off in flakes. I was worried it would get into the machine and jam some of the delicate parts like the flowmeter, which is why I stripped it completely.
yooncs

Post by yooncs »

sorry it took a while to get back on this topic but i contacted chris coffee and they sent me a new improved connector which has a mesh filter and is in much better built quality. thanks!

Return to “Mini General Q&A”