Troubleshooting Tips Mini Blowing Fuses

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
java man
Macchiatto

Troubleshooting Tips Mini Blowing Fuses

Post by java man »

My Mini Vivaldi II is 11 years old, and has been a pretty reliable machine. I’ve changed the vibe pump, a steam valve, a solenoid and repaired a few minor leaks. Aside from that I’ve had 11 years of everyday service. It has a timer, the pressure modulator (preinfusion) and turns on via the timer 3x daily. I run it on 20 amps.

I had to replace a fuse a little over a year ago, but it was all good until a couple of weeks ago when it blew a fuse and kicked off the GFCI. I replaced the fuse and it blew again 2 days later. It also damaged the body of the fuse holder.

I replaced the fuse and holder, and disconnected the brew boiler leads. It came on when powered up, pulled a shot normally and no fuse problems. Next, I disconnected the steam boiler, reconnected the brew boiler, but the steam boiler wouldn’t turn on, I assume because the brew boiler wouldn’t come up to operating temperature.

How can I troubleshoot this to isolate whatever caused the fuses to blow?
Java Man
(A.K.A. Espressopithecus)
Mini Vivaldi II
Baratza Sette 270Wi
Kinu Phoenix hand grinder

chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Troubleshooting Tips Mini Blowing Fuses

Post by chas »

Are you using the terms brew boiler and steam boiler backwards? Otherwise, I am not sure how you can get the brew boiler to heat up and then pull a shot with the brew boiler leads disconnected?
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.23 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B

java man
Macchiatto

Post by java man »

Sorry, the first one should have been steam boiler disconnected.

AFAIK, the steam boiler won’t heat up til the brew boiler has come up to temperature. This makes it hard to test whether the steam boiler alone will blow a fuse.

But I think I’ve moved past that.

With everything connected I was able to leave it on all day and make three cappuccinos, all with no problem. Sounds like the problem is intermittent. I can’t imagine I would get an intermittent failure of either boiler element. I haven’t a clue about how to troubleshoot this.
Java Man
Mini Vivaldi II
Baratza Sette 270Wi

java man
Macchiatto

Post by java man »

Update: Everything is back together. Mini Vivaldi is up and running. 10 days now with no blown fuse. No idea what caused it. I'll just carry on.
Java Man
Mini Vivaldi II
Baratza Sette 270Wi

Return to “Mini General Q&A”