stainless instead of brass diffuser block

What would you change about your LaSpaziale espresso machine?
zak42

stainless instead of brass diffuser block

Post by zak42 »

I hope that's the right name for the big brass block above the shower screens. I was reminded again last night as i was trying to clean it that the GS3 has an all stainless steal group head/diffuser block.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Why have stainless, doesn't brass retain heat better?
The GS3 is a different animal, the boilers are larger so it retains heat better and it also has a PID controller.
And it's also more than twice the cost of an S1.
zak42

Post by zak42 »

Niko wrote:Why have stainless, doesn't brass retain heat better?
The GS3 is a different animal, the boilers are larger so it retains heat better and it also has a PID controller.
And it's also more than twice the cost of an S1.
Keeping a stainless steel one clean would be way easier than the brass one.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

zak42 wrote: Keeping a stainless steel one clean would be way easier than the brass one.
My goal when cleaning the diffuser is to get the coffee grounds and assorted other coffee "goo" off. I don't see where it would take any less scrubbing for stainless steel versus brass.

Now if you're talking about scrubbing the brass each time to get the oxidation off so it's as shiny as new, then I concur that you can more easily return SS to this state. However, I sure don't clean my diffuser this well nor do I think it's necessary.
Last edited by chas on Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Niko

Post by Niko »

It's not necessary at all.
If anything, I'd be worried if brass changes the taste of the coffee so maybe that's why Marzocco chose SS.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I googled brass vs stainless steel last night. I found some interesting articles I hadn't expected. Brass has anti-microbial properties that stainless steel lacks; i.e. bacteria sitting on a piece of brass will die. Sounds like a good thing.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B

Return to “Suggested Improvements”