IMS basket and 53,3mm tamper

What would you change about your LaSpaziale espresso machine?
frachlitz

IMS basket and 53,3mm tamper

Post by frachlitz »

One thing i loved about my old Alex Duetto-setup was my IMS screen, VST basket and 58,3mm Reg Barber tamper.
Perfect shots with almost no cleaning needed for my grouphead or naked portafilter.

I have missed this with my S1 - but no more!

IMS baskets (from Cafe-kultur.de (12-18g + 22g)
Reb Barber C-ripple 53,3mm
IMS Shower-screen

At the moment i use the 22g basket with 19g, as i have the original (old) tall dispersion disc installed, and even with a flat screew the puck touches the screen resulting in channeling and a mess to clean in the grouphead - this is not the case with the 22g basket - clean sides after dose, shake, tamp, pull the shot - almost no coffee in the grouphead/showerscreen.
IMS filterbasket and 53,3mm Reg Barber C-ripple
IMS filterbasket and 53,3mm Reg Barber C-ripple
IMG_3910.JPG (999.67 KiB) Viewed 22205 times
Portafilter before the shot with 19g of coffee. Ony one tamp (no cleaning of the sides)
Portafilter before the shot with 19g of coffee. Ony one tamp (no cleaning of the sides)
IMG_3903.JPG (749.25 KiB) Viewed 22205 times
The shot (picture included just becuse... it is beautiful :-)
The shot (picture included just becuse... it is beautiful :-)
IMG_3905.JPG (746.33 KiB) Viewed 22205 times
Portafilter after the shot
Portafilter after the shot
IMG_3907.JPG (763.57 KiB) Viewed 22205 times
expy98

Re: IMS basket and 53,3mm tamper

Post by expy98 »

thanks for the info. I'm tempted to try the IMS baskets as well. I currently dose 19g into the standard double basket w/out touching
the screen altho I've replaced the hex screen bolt w/ a button top to gain a mil or 2 of headspace.
southpaw
Latte

Post by southpaw »

What are your thoughts on the shower screen? I've got one but I'm not sure it does anything beyond make a very pretty water pattern.
jfrescki
God Shot

Post by jfrescki »

I have the precision shower screen and ridged IMS double basket from Chris for over a year. I'm not sure I ever noticed that my shots were markedly better. Maybe I should double back with the original basket and test.
John

Mini Vivaldi, EPC-8, SJ, Steel Burr Vario
Behmor, Modded Poppery
Coffee Stuff
Framus

Post by Framus »

I've recently started using a La Spazaile Mini Vivaldi II machine (actually a Lucca A35 from Clive Coffee).

I'm interested in the IMS baskets but wonder how they differ from the OEM baskets?

Do they help improve the extraction?

I've been trolling web and Barista Hustle stresses the use of VST baskets and tampers that are closely matched to the internal diameter of the basket. Is it important to optimize the basket and tamper to make great espresso.

Thanks,
Jim

Return to “Suggested Improvements”