TXPresso Photoetched Parts

What would you change about your LaSpaziale espresso machine?
Endo

TXPresso Photoetched Parts

Post by Endo »

Anybody see this:

http://www.espressoparts.com/EP_TX_SCREEN

Pretty cool. I wonder if CC would be interesed in creating a set of photo-etched screens for the Vivaldi.

Chech out the vortex tip too! Wonder how that would work on the S1? (Probably doesn't fit though).

http://www.espressoparts.com/EP_TX_VORTEX
slo
Barista

Re: TXPresso Photoetched Parts

Post by slo »

Come on Endo!

This looks, feels and sounds like a marketing pitch with fancy manufacturing description and prestigious brand name throwing for a component that may, or may not, do anything.

Now that I have brutally told Endo, and everybody else, my opinion let me explain; There is always a gap between the screen and the top of the puck or at least there should always be one to at least prevent disruption of the puck surface. Once the pre-infusion, at reduced pressure, has filled that volume the pressure will act within the volume of liquid in an homogeneous manner. As the pressure increases the volume of coffee will be further compressed down by the high (8-9 bars) pressure and this will increase the liquid volume above the coffee. As long as there is no jets of water coming out of the group head, and we know that there are none, the water pressure distribution should not be affected in any significant fashion by the entrance through the dispersion screen.

Of course here I am postulating that the flow of water becomes laminar almost immediately upon entrance in the volume of water above the coffee. I think that this is a valid hypothesis based on the very low flow of water and very large relative flow area (53mm) and already large number of small holes in the dispersion screen.Also, I am assuming that the coffee swelling due to water absorption is not large enough to fill the gap above the puck. I am just writing this for those of you that believe in that theory, I do not.

And Endo, have you looked at the price of the Steam tip?!!! Even if it was good, and there is no evidence that it does anything special, the price is outrageous! Well to me at least! I have no problem at all making nice micro-foam with the 4 holes, $15 tip.
Vivaldi II, Multiple (a collection really) Lever machines
Currently on deck grinders: Mythos and MXKR
Backup grinders: Robur, Major.
Toper Cafemino Electric and Poppery 1 roaster

I have a serious problem ... Can you guess what?
Endo

Post by Endo »

I don't make them. :roll: (I assume they are made for a E-61 anyway).

Still, it's something I hadn't seen much before and it made me think.

No reason you couldn't have 2 etched screens so the functionality is the same (just a different pattern). Perhaps the gauge of sheet metal on the S1 is too thick for etching though. Might be fun for experimenting to see if it makes a difference.

I wonder if you can etch baskets? I always wanted to try a cone shaped basket in my naked PF rather than the flat bottom one. Not great for tamping, but I wonder what it would taste like having more basket flow area?
Bitches_Brew

Post by Bitches_Brew »

slo wrote: And Endo, have you looked at the price of the Steam tip?!!! the price is outrageous! Well to me at least!
i agree. $70 for a steam tip seems outrageous to me also. maybe it's made out of platinum. :-? ;-)
Bitches_Brew

Post by Bitches_Brew »

i just noticed that the steam tip's price went up from $70 to $95! :shock:

Return to “Suggested Improvements”