New owner, slightly used S1 VII...

Post photos and descriptions of your S1 V1, S1 V2, and/or S1 Dream coffee set ups here.
Zennmaster

New owner, slightly used S1 VII...

Post by Zennmaster »

Hi all!

I'm new here, and I wanted to say "Hi", and also show off my new pride and joy.

I started Whirley-pop roasting a few months ago, and I guess I shouldn't be surprised that once I had good beans, the old S-Bux Barista didn't really seem to be up to snuff.

I lucked out, and walked into Clive Coffee in Portland with the intention of getting on the waiting list for a new VII, and lo and behold, a business had just gone under after only four months, leaving behind a very slightly used machine.

The guys at Clive were good enough to give it a thorough once-over, and now it's sitting in my kitchen, wearing a nice new set of Wenge panels. Next to it is a used Mazzer Mini.

Plumbing her in was a fun, slightly challenging puzzle: The braided hose that comes with the VII, of course, is a BSPP thread, which is not compatible with the US NPT standard. Luckily, the John Guest fitting that usually comes with the machine was present, and that got me into good ol' 3/8" tubing.

The part I couldn't find mention of is that J.G. fittings are completely compatible with copper tubing, so I just T-ed off of the supply line under my sink, went into 3/8" copper, through a shutoff valve, pressure regulator, then via the John Guest into the braided hose. Easy!

On the second day of operation, I managed to pull the absolute best-tasting shot I have ever experienced. Of course, two weeks later, I have yet to repeat such a wonderful happening, but that's why I'm here!

I absolutely love this machine, and am looking forward to years of great coffee and conversation!

-Michael
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: New owner, slightly used S1 VII...

Post by chas »

Welcome to the Forum.

The JG tee was the only part that slowed down my installation as well. It was not because I didn't know about it - it came with all the other parts since I bought the kit from CCS. I installed it under the kitchen sink. In my case, I just had a hard copper line running up to the faucets. If this had been a newer house they probably would have used flex line and it would have been a 5 minute job.

I had to cut off about 1 1/2" of copper line and the existing compression ring would not budge so I had to make a quick run to the hardware store for a new one. Otherwise, it was a breeze.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Zennmaster

Re: New owner, slightly used S1 VII...

Post by Zennmaster »

I had the hard copper line as well. When I was at the hardware store buying cooper nipples, stop valves and all that other stuff, I went ahead and grabbed a short braided hose and just replaced it.

I figured I'd most likely kink it trying to bend it anyway, so the way I see it, I saved myself some money as well as time! :)

Return to “Pride Page”