Timer suggestions

Tampers, Triple Baskets, Bottomless PFs, Temp Measuring Devices, Barista Tools, other Coffee Widgets
zoey

Timer suggestions

Post by zoey »

I will be taking possession of a Mini next Tuesday! YEA!! I've seen some white timers attached to the front of several members machines.

I know a basic timer would be just fine but, I am wondering if you could suggest a brand/type?

What's good about your timer and what would you change?

If you had your druthers, what would you own?
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I may be wrong but I think only the factory option timer is compatible with these machines. Kind of pricey so I just turn it on in the morning & off in the evening.
zoey

Post by zoey »

I was looking for the kitchen timer-like things stuck to the front of some of the members coffee machines. (for timing pulls)

I don't believe that they are the auto-on/off devices.
zoey

Post by zoey »

Zzyzx has one on the front of his/her machine in this photo:

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/29 ... 3029sXCvNI
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

OK, sorry about that. I use a West Bend timer I got off Amazon for timing my shots. Like most of them it has a magnet on the back but be forewarned that every time it moves a little the magnet will scratch the finish. I had mine up there for one day & got several scratches so now I use the fold out stand on the back & leave it on the cup warmer.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000BYDL9

You may also want to consider one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006HYQA
zoey

Post by zoey »

Ah yes! I definitely need a surge protector!

My dad's had a near lightning strike a few years ago and it took out all of the computers, oven, and the microwave oven.

Thanks for the link! I'll order one tonight.
zoey

Post by zoey »

I see that the surge protector is a 20A to 15A connection. Therefore, wouldn't I be able to switch my machine over to the 20A setting and use it as such without changing out the wall outlet?
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

While it will accept a 15a plug on one side & 20a on the other I believe the actual connector portion of the surge protector is 20a style. Mine won't be here for a couple days but I'm pretty positive this will only plug into a 20a outlet. I doubt they could sell it as a 20a protector if it didn't.
jmcphail

Post by jmcphail »

I'm using this timer:

http://www.espressoparts.com/product/40 ... Timer.html

It's fine, I guess, no problems so far, does what it's supposed to.
zoey

Post by zoey »

Thank you!
Niko

Post by Niko »

And I use this timer on both my machines and they cover up the ugly S1 logo :D
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Niko wrote:And I use this timer on both my machines and they cover up the ugly S1 logo
You could just warm up the decal with a hair dryer & peel it off.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I have one of those CDN timers, too. You can get them here for 10 bucks:

http://www.amazon.com/CDN-TM14-S-Digita ... 37&sr=1-13

This appears to have one of those rubber magnets. I've never had any scratch issues using it. I've had mine for at least 5 years and I'm still on the original battery.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

chas wrote:I have one of those CDN timers, too. You can get them here for 10 bucks:

http://www.amazon.com/CDN-TM14-S-Digita ... 37&sr=1-13

This appears to have one of those rubber magnets. I've never had any scratch issues using it. I've had mine for at least 5 years and I'm still on the original battery.
5 reviews & the 2 that liked it both use it with their Espresso machine! Does it stay on the machine better then the fridge??
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Where the magnet is in the middle of the timer's back surface is flat. However, the back then curves in going toward both the bottom and the top. So the timer start/stop button is over a part of the timer where there is a gap between the timer back and the S1 surface.

This means that if you push on the button too hard the timer rotates down, the magnet breaks contact, and timer lands on the counter in front of the S1. However, the level of force required to do this is considerably more than required to activate the button. So you quickly get trained to push the button and not smash it!

(You reset the timer by simultaneously pushing the two top buttons. So the same thing can happen in that direction as well.)

So I would be happier with it if the back was completely flat AND it had a rubber magnet, but I have no complaints. Of course, none of the ads tell you whether the magnet is metal or rubber. So I guess the best bet is to ask here as you have done.
Chas
Hottop P/B
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

JohnB wrote: You could just warm up the decal with a hair dryer & peel it off.
Sounds like a plan! Let me know how it goes.

:roll:
Chas
Hottop P/B
Niko

Post by Niko »

...and then bust out the airbrush for some flame graphics :P
zoey

Post by zoey »

I've found that WD40 is excellent for removing stickers.

John~ Could you let me know about the surge protector when you get it?

I'm thinking that I can find a outlet-/style type of surge protector so I can kill two birds with one stone.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

chas wrote:
JohnB wrote: You could just warm up the decal with a hair dryer & peel it off.
Sounds like a plan! Let me know how it goes.

:roll:
Personally I like the way the decal breaks up the shiny area but I have used this method to remove decals on cars, motorcycles & machinery many times. Any glue left behind can be removed with undiluted citrus cleaner or 3M Adhesive Remover (my favorite).
Niko

Post by Niko »

...and the timer breaks up the shiny area as well :wink:

Zoey, I have both styles of surge protectors - the massive black metal box version (built much better) and the one I pictured on another thread. I prefer the plastic one because of the room I save.
zoey

Post by zoey »

Thanks Niko!
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Is your Mini on schedule for delivery today?
Chas
Hottop P/B
zoey

Post by zoey »

Yep!!! I just checked UPS and it's on schedule. I think they are in my neighborhood around 5pm CST.

I'm so excited that I feel like going out and tracking down the truck. :wink:
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

zoey wrote:
John~ Could you let me know about the surge protector when you get it?

I'm thinking that I can find a outlet-/style type of surge protector so I can kill two birds with one stone.
Got the surge protector today & it definitely requires a 20A outlet to plug into. While the s/p will accept a standard 15a style plug or 20a plug on either side both sides are rated for 20a.
zoey

Post by zoey »

Thanks! I'm going to ask one of my electrician buddies to get me a 20Amp surge protector outlet.

Yesterday I went to a few big box hardware stores but could only find a 15A.
Niko

Post by Niko »

smarthome.com might have one of those surge protected outlets you're talking about. I've seen them elsewhere but can't recall at the moment - you shouldn't have to pay more than $30 or so. There's nothing fancy about them, I'd go for the heavier duty ones like the big black metal one if you have the space, otherwise they can be an eyesore in the wrong spot :shock:
zoey

Post by zoey »

It will be hidden behind the machine so I don't really care what it looks like! :wink:

Thanks for the tip! I really appreciate all the help you guys have given me! Hopefully I can repay the favor some time.
Niko

Post by Niko »

The large black (better made) surge protector is great but keep in mind that is sticks out far so your machine won't be able to sit far back against the wall. Unless the top of the outlet is just below cup-warmer level - you won't be able to push the machine further back. You can always get the plastic surge protector so you don't lose any space, I have two of them and I love how they don't take up space.
PBL
Espresso

Post by PBL »

Don't need a timer any more, sort of!

I have two boys age 10 and 12 who get up real early to play video games. My wife finally instructed them how to turn on the machine properly. Now by the time we get downstairs on the weekend the machine is all warmed up and ready to go. Now if only they can get up early on a school day.
Vivaldi S1 and my buddy Rocky
blgros

Re: Timer suggestions

Post by blgros »

What is the "large black" surge protector that people mention?

The Panamax from amazon looks okay, if a little bulky.

Return to “Accessories”