Silicone long life Group Gaskets available

Tampers, Triple Baskets, Bottomless PFs, Temp Measuring Devices, Barista Tools, other Coffee Widgets
steve96822
God Shot

Silicone long life Group Gaskets available

Post by steve96822 »

S1silasket_in_group.JPG
S1silasket_in_group.JPG (130.58 KiB) Viewed 84939 times
Silicone Portafilter Group Gaskets for S1 Spaziale now available

Please see video which includes pulling shot and back-flush pressure test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt5DPRK3 ... e=youtu.be

After development and testing on my own Vivaldi S1

# Superior heat resiliency compared to legacy rubber that becomes hard, brittle, eventually failing. Typical recommendation for changing rubber gaskets in commercial machines is every 3 months.

# Creates a very good seal against portafilter

# Natural color silicone food grade spec as to not add coloring chemicals

# Facilitate visual inspection

# Inertness of silicone (extensively used in bakeware at considerably higher temperatures)

# Notched to facilitate easier removal

# Portafilter locks at about 90 degrees on my S1 Vivaldi; 5-6 years old, moderate use, original baskets and portafilter. Can go beyond 90 degrees however I find the seal is quite good at initial click/lock see pics

Realistically these gaskets should last multiples times to that of legacy rubber gaskets and eventually (nobody knows when) should be much easier to change since they wont need to be fought with to removed. No chiseling or self tapping screw to pull out. (for those of us that have used drywall screws to remove old rubber gaskets)

3 gaskets for 21.00 USD (postage included) sent via Hong Kong Post Registered Airmail or similar service with tracking number.

Currently can only accept payment via Paypal steve96822@hotmail.com

Although I am a long time ebayer with 100% rating, the gaskets are NOT ebay so please do not check "ebay purchase" on payment type.

Because it is registered airmail I must provide them your contact telephone number. Please include your telephone number.

PS; E61 group Silicone gaskets also available
Last edited by steve96822 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
S1 V1 220volt
Mazzer mini
Ascaso Innova doserless
Simonelli Oscar
Olympia Cremina
Faema lever antique(working)
goodboyr
Barista

Re: Silicone long life Group Gaskets available

Post by goodboyr »

Paypal payment sent.
Bob
La Spaziale Dream and Baratza Sette 270W
steve96822
God Shot

Post by steve96822 »

Thanks Bob. Will send out on Monday.
S1 V1 220volt
Mazzer mini
Ascaso Innova doserless
Simonelli Oscar
Olympia Cremina
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Looks my silcone GS/3 gaskets should arrive tomorrow and the S1 gaskets on Friday.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
reefkeep
Latte

Post by reefkeep »

PayPal sent , thank you! Chris
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I got the GS/3 gaskets on Thursday, as expected, even though they shipped after the S1 gaskets. Based on the fact that the S1 gaskets departed JFK USPS facility one day after the GS/3 gaskets I thought they would arrive yesterday. However, no sign yet and no tracking updates for 5 days when it should only take about 2 days to get here from NYC. Hopefully, they will still show up soon.

I just cleaned my GS/3 and installed one of the new gaskets. They do fit well. The group handle comes right around to the 6 o'clock position. Also, when running the cleaning cycle previously with a blind basket, I would get some leaks around the gasket (new or old) that I never see when pulling an actual shot. With the silicone gasket on during the cleaning cycle, I did not see any leakage. I'll be interested to see how a real shot goes when I get around to it in the next couple of hours.
Chas
Hottop P/B
Ch83

Post by Ch83 »

Alright keep us posted. Thanks for the testing Chas

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

USPS tracking just tagged my S1 silicone gaskets as arriving in Baltimore so maybe tomorrow will be my lucky day! I guess 10 days from Hong Kong isn't bad even though that was 3 days from HK to NYC and a week from NYC to Maryland....
Chas
Hottop P/B
goodboyr
Barista

Post by goodboyr »

How did you get a tracking number?
Bob
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

From steve96822

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Chas
Hottop P/B
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

My S1 silicone gaskets arrived this afternoon!
Chas
Hottop P/B
Ch83

Post by Ch83 »

chas wrote:My S1 silicone gaskets arrived this afternoon!
Let's hear the results!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
MDL
Barista

Silicone Group Gasket question

Post by MDL »

How are people inserting their silicone gaskets (they have one flat side and one with chamfered edges)? Are you putting the flat or the chamfered side up against the group?

Mark
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I pulled my old S1 Dream rubber gasket this morning in preparation for installing the silicone gasket and decided to check for you. I have installed gaskets in the past that had the chamfered edge. However, this was the first time the gasket has been changed in this new Dream and it is flat on both sides. For some reason chamfered side down seems right but I couldn't give you a good reason why.

In comparing the silicone gaskets to the original gaskets, it is interesting that the GS/3 rubber and silicone gaskets are very similar as far as flexibility and hardness. However, the S1 silicone gasket is much softer and more flexible than the original rubber gasket. (This is actually how I expected a silicone gasket to be.) I haven't cleaned the machine in a while so I am soaking all the group parts in Cafiza. Once I have everything reinstalled, I'll let you know how the new gasket works. It will be interesting to compare the S1 with the GS/3 since the gaskets are so much different.

All things being equal I would expect the silicone gaskets in the S1 to last longer than the silicone gaskets in the Dream since the S1 has a "cold nose". However, with the difference in materials it's hard to know for sure and hard to know how long it might take to find out!
Chas
Hottop P/B
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

Thanks Chas.

I was actually thinking that chamfered side up would keep the gasket from "sealing" onto the group and potentially make it easier to remove? Otherwise I agree that chamfered down seems cleaner looking.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

My thoughts were in the opposite direction. I thought putting the chamfered edge up might create a void for gunk to collect.
Chas
Hottop P/B
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

The silicone gasket installed easily and works fine. So the only remaining issue is how long it lasts.

Of course that doesn't really matter unless we are getting a special introductory deal on the silicone gaskets. The silicone gaskets are only $4.67 each including shipping while the rubber gaskets are around $9.00 each including shipping.
Chas
Hottop P/B
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

I am swayed to your view. Given how pliable the silicone material is removal is unlikely to be a problem. On the other hand, as you suggest, gunk could build up under the chamfered edge. It seems to me that the three gaskets we have obtained should last the life of the S1.
jfrescki
God Shot

Post by jfrescki »

I'd been installing my rubber gaskets chamfered edge up, but I read that was wrong somewhere recently. So I just replaced the group gasket (with rubber) and did chamfered down. It seems to me that having the chamfered edge down allows the gasket to deform more, and as a result there's more degrees of movement from when the basket edge first contacts the gasket, and when I reach lock. There's more of a spongy/resilient feel when I lock in. Don't know if it makes a difference at all!
John

Mini Vivaldi, EPC-8, SJ, Steel Burr Vario
Behmor, Modded Poppery
Coffee Stuff
richardcoffee
God Shot

Post by richardcoffee »

jfrescki wrote:I'd been installing my rubber gaskets chamfered edge up, but I read that was wrong somewhere recently. So I just replaced the group gasket (with rubber) and did chamfered down. It seems to me that having the chamfered edge down allows the gasket to deform more, and as a result there's more degrees of movement from when the basket edge first contacts the gasket, and when I reach lock. There's more of a spongy/resilient feel when I lock in. Don't know if it makes a difference at all!

In an e-mail exchange with Steve recently, he told me he inserts them "bevel side up". Apparently, either way will work. But his rationale was that you get a better connection between the gasket and the basket that way, and, leading with the bevel side facilitates installation of the gasket.
jfrescki
God Shot

Post by jfrescki »

richardcoffee wrote:
jfrescki wrote:I'd been installing my rubber gaskets chamfered edge up, but I read that was wrong somewhere recently. So I just replaced the group gasket (with rubber) and did chamfered down. It seems to me that having the chamfered edge down allows the gasket to deform more, and as a result there's more degrees of movement from when the basket edge first contacts the gasket, and when I reach lock. There's more of a spongy/resilient feel when I lock in. Don't know if it makes a difference at all!

In an e-mail exchange with Steve recently, he told me he inserts them "bevel side up". Apparently, either way will work. But his rationale was that you get a better connection between the gasket and the basket that way, and, leading with the bevel side facilitates installation of the gasket.
That was my thinking as well which is why I was putting the chamfer up. Wish I remember where I read otherwise.
John

Mini Vivaldi, EPC-8, SJ, Steel Burr Vario
Behmor, Modded Poppery
Coffee Stuff
steve96822
God Shot

Post by steve96822 »

Let me thank everybody again for the vote of confidence in ordering gaskets.

I have read online proponents of bevel edge up AND bevel edge down.

My personal thoughts, experiences and hypotheses ;

# it seems the bevel edge up facilitates entry into the channel

# bevel edge down creates a space for water under pressure to possibly "track upwards"

# as someone else mentioned debris may accumulate there

# La Marzoco schematic shows bevel side up

# perhaps better seal as full "beef" of gasket is facing down and filling slot. Elasticity and compressibility can mainly only go upwards and not laterally in case of bevel down ?? Ha would beed a CT scan to test this theory LOL

# notches at perimeter allow an awl or small screwdriver entry and removal is painless

# theoretically it should work either way.
Last edited by steve96822 on Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
S1 V1 220volt
Mazzer mini
Ascaso Innova doserless
Simonelli Oscar
Olympia Cremina
steve96822
God Shot

Post by steve96822 »

MDL wrote:I am swayed to your view. Given how pliable the silicone material is removal is unlikely to be a problem. On the other hand, as you suggest, gunk could build up under the chamfered edge. It seems to me that the three gaskets we have obtained should last the life of the S1.

That is my intent. A very reasonable price for S1cafe folks. I hope to recoup some RD and production costs in other venues perhaps for Spaziale 2-3 group machines
S1 V1 220volt
Mazzer mini
Ascaso Innova doserless
Simonelli Oscar
Olympia Cremina
richardcoffee
God Shot

Post by richardcoffee »

So, I ordered mine on 5/26, received them today and popped one in. I love it. Nice and clean went on easy. The portafilter goes in kind of soft feeling - stops at 6 o'clock. No leaks.
I was kind of skittish about this because when I first bought my machine I got a spare gasket that when I tried to put it in after a year, it wouldn't fit. The folks at Chris' simply thought I wasn't trying hard enough. I finally found some different sizes at Cafe Parts and found a couple that fit easily enough. Before I ordered these I expressed my concern to Steve and he was very supportive and accommodating and I became convinced that if I couldn't make em work I could probably sell them to somebody else. So, I got em fast and when I took my old one out I discovered that it had a beveled side that apparently made it easier to install. I put this new one on, bevelled side up and as I said it went on like a hot knife through butter. Now I've got a life time supply of gaskets.
Thanks Steve!
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

The official word from Chris Coffee Service is chamfered side up for easier insertion though I've never had any problems with getting gaskets off or on an S1. On other machines I often have to destroy the gaskets in order to get them off, but removing gaskets from the S1 intact is no problem.

If a silicone gasket will really last for years I wonder if it ought to be part of the regimen to remove them about once a year, clean the groove underneath while also doing a screen/dispersion disk clean and then reinstall?
Chas
Hottop P/B
richardcoffee
God Shot

Post by richardcoffee »

chas wrote: If a silicone gasket will really last for years I wonder if it ought to be part of the regimen to remove them about once a year, clean the groove underneath while also doing a screen/dispersion disk clean and then reinstall?
I just put a reminder in my calendar to do just that next D-Day.
goodboyr
Barista

Post by goodboyr »

Got mine, installed as per above, and all good. Thanks for a great improvement on an already fantastic machine!!
Bob
expy98

Post by expy98 »

altho I have spare stock ones, order incoming. Thanks Steve.
cruiten

Post by cruiten »

I ordered on May 30, 2014, and received the shipment today.

Installed the gasket tonight and everything is working as expected.

Thanks Steve.
steve96822
God Shot

Post by steve96822 »

Please note these S1 gaskets are currently available 2 for 14USD including standard airmail shipping. If you would like registered trackable shipping please add 3.00. There is no profit on shipping and actually runs me more than 3.00. Need a tel number also for either shipping method.

These gaskets fit any La Spaziale machine not only the S1.
S1 V1 220volt
Mazzer mini
Ascaso Innova doserless
Simonelli Oscar
Olympia Cremina
michael
God Shot

Post by michael »

can I still get some s1 gaskets 8)
fiddlefadel

Post by fiddlefadel »

I would like some also.
Dave
steve96822
God Shot

Post by steve96822 »

Just PM me for the gaskets. Or see the La Spaziale videos for email info on youtube search "silasket gasket" I can accept paypal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dcus73rmIz0
S1 V1 220volt
Mazzer mini
Ascaso Innova doserless
Simonelli Oscar
Olympia Cremina
steve96822
God Shot

Post by steve96822 »

Pretzel grouphead gasket after 8 months. Had the bottom cut out of a portafilter. Pour is too fast? E61 also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvkrbSWXciI
S1 V1 220volt
Mazzer mini
Ascaso Innova doserless
Simonelli Oscar
Olympia Cremina
rhinoevans
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by rhinoevans »

Sent paypal
javajohnson
Latte

Post by javajohnson »

I tried to PM steve96822 on Friday to order some silicone gaskets but realized today that the message is still in my "outbox". How do I get it to send???
La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Mazzer Mini E Mod B
Bunn G1
Hottop D roaster
2 San Franciscan SF-6 roasters
rhinoevans
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by rhinoevans »

I could not get pm to work either. Just sentpaypal money to his hotmail account and sent email to same addressed. Just received email that it has already shipped. Can't wait. So tired of those rubber gaskets
javajohnson
Latte

Post by javajohnson »

Not sure how much it costs for the gaskets -how do I know cost + shipping to send via PayPal? Also, is his email steve96822@hotmail.com ?

thx
Mazzer Mini E Mod B
Bunn G1
Hottop D roaster
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

That's his address. Pricing is below in his Aug 31, 2014 post. I am pretty sure you just PayPal to his e-mail address. There is some special postal service deal they use where even though they drop the shipment into HongKong post it gets routed to a USPS center immediately with tracking. It took about 10 days for me to receive mine with about 3 days to get from China to JFK airport and another week to get from NYC to Maryland!
Chas
Hottop P/B
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

BTW: As far as I can tell PMs actually get sent pretty quickly after you hit the Send button. It's just that the status doesn't get updated and the PM appears to be stuck in your out box when it had really been delivered. Plus I am not sure how often Steve monitors his private box on this forum so it is better to just e-mail him if you have questions or just go ahead and place your order via PayPal.
Chas
Hottop P/B
javajohnson
Latte

Post by javajohnson »

Thx Chas. just sent $ thru PayPal!
Mazzer Mini E Mod B
Bunn G1
Hottop D roaster
steve96822
God Shot

Post by steve96822 »

If you need La Spaziale Silicone grouphead gaskets can email me / paypal me

silasket@gmail.com

7 USD a piece including standard international airmail. For registered add 3 USD

3 or more pieces in a single order-destination and I will pay for registered airmail.

For registered airmail orders it is a good idea to also give me your telephone number.

Thank you to everybody.

Steve
S1 V1 220volt
Mazzer mini
Ascaso Innova doserless
Simonelli Oscar
Olympia Cremina
Framus

Post by Framus »

Are Silicon long life Group Gaskets still available?

Recently I've tried to reach steve96822 but am not having any luck.

I just got a Lucca A35 which is a Vivaldi mini 2 with a modified control panel.
Love the machine.

-Framus
Framus

Post by Framus »

On Sep 13 I wrote:

"Are Silicon long life Group Gaskets still available?

Recently I've tried to reach steve96822 but am not having any luck.

I just got a Lucca A35 which is a Vivaldi mini 2 with a modified control panel.
Love the machine.

-Framus"

And the answer is YES. I received the 3 Silicone Long Life Group Gaskets today.
The came via air mail from Thailand and that may account for the difficulties that have impacted
communication with Steve96822.

-Framus
Nater
Freeze Dried

Post by Nater »

If anyone is wondering, he is still selling the gaskets. I received mine.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Did you use the GMail address to contact him?
Chas
Hottop P/B
Velcro
Macchiato

Post by Velcro »

I reached out to Stev on both addresses yesterday (Hotmail & gmail), he replied to me via Hotmail that he is still selling gaskets.
I ordered mine via paypal to his Hotmail address as he indicated.

21.95 for a set of 3 including shipping and tracking number.

now the wait.
regards
Velcro
Sette 270
La Spaziale Dream v1.24
IMS Baskets & Reg Barber C-Flat 53.3
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

In that case I guess this is the perferred contact method: steve96822@hotmail.com

I bought three several years back. I can't remember how much they cost but I remember them being cheaper than 3 regular gaskets plus shipping. Which is still the case based on CCS pricing.
Chas
Hottop P/B
Nater
Freeze Dried

Post by Nater »

Yes the email address I contacted him at is steve96822@hotmail.com.
It was 21.95 for a set of 3 including shipping and tracking number.
Velcro
Macchiato

Post by Velcro »

Mine arrived today :)
Velcro
Sette 270
La Spaziale Dream v1.24
IMS Baskets & Reg Barber C-Flat 53.3
richardcoffee
God Shot

Post by richardcoffee »

I noticed yesterday when putting my portafilter in that it felt a little different. Then, while pulling a shot, I notice some clear water dripping into the cup. So, I changed out the silicone gasket - and then came here to see that it's been almost 5 years. There was a considerable build up underneath. I went through about a dozen q-tips to clean it up. And installed my last silicone gasket. Wow!!! I think that's pretty good. I hope I'm not bragging prematurely and that I won't see water dripping tomorrow.
sakurama
Espresso

Post by sakurama »

I don't come by here much any more but I wanted to say that I'm still on the first silicone gasket of three that I got maybe three or so years ago and it's just as squishy and soft and seals perfectly. If you don't have these you're missing out.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
www.gregorhalenda.com
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Just the other day someone asked in one of the other threads if anyone was still renting their Scace. Are you?
Chas
Hottop P/B

Return to “Accessories”