No-burn steam arm range and usability

Tampers, Triple Baskets, Bottomless PFs, Temp Measuring Devices, Barista Tools, other Coffee Widgets
Louis

No-burn steam arm range and usability

Post by Louis »

A few threads already exists about the no-burn steam arm:
- viewtopic.php?f=21&t=937&p=10942&hilit=no+burn
- viewtopic.php?f=21&t=601&p=6209&hilit=no+burn
- viewtopic.php?f=31&t=569&p=5769&hilit=no+burn#p5769

But none seem to fully address the basic question I have before ordering a Vivaldi II with a few "accessories", to replace my current Silvia+Auber PID (already upgraded the grinder to a Vario).

As noted by many, the shape of the no-burn arm is different:
http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/hom ... /noburnarm

I would like to know:
1. Can you purge the "no-burn" steam arm over the drip tray as easily as you can with the "burn-me" steam arm?
2. How does the no-burn arm shape affect steaming using either:
a. a small pitcher; or
b. a larger pitcher?

For those having used both, would you recommend getting the no-burn or not?

Thanks!
Last edited by Louis on Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
symbology

Re: No-burn steam arm range and usability

Post by symbology »

I have used both, but not on this machine. My Andreja had the same no-burn (NB) arm that the S1 would use. IMO, I would stay away from the NB arm. Keep in mind, that I love the NB arms because you do not have to worry about the milk burning, burning yourself etc. After using the NB arm an my Andreja, I thought that I was going to want one on the Mini as well. After using the Mini with the std arm and tip, I no longer have any desire for the NB arm and tip. I will list my reasons below.

1) The arm is longer with a different angel and purging the arm in the drip tray will be more difficult.
2) The angle on the arm will make it harder to steam small quantities of milk. The angle into the milk will be too shallow IMO.
3) The steam arm cleans up really easily on the S1. It is stainless steel, not plated brass like on other less expensive machines. I find that it cleans up much easier than the plated brass arm on my old Silvano, (which is similar to the arm on a Silvia). It really cleans up as easily as my NB arm on the Andreja.
4) The tip on the NB arm is huge. I think this is so it will not build up as much heat as a smaller tip, allowing it to be a no-burn tip. However, for small quantities of milk I think the large tip actually hinders the ability to make great micro foam. This could also be the angle of the 4 holes on the tip, I don't know. I just know that I like steaming milk better on the Mini, even with the on/off slider valve. Which, I have grown to like a lot for what its worth.

I hope my opinion helps.

Keep in mind, that I still have the Andreja around (for sale) and I could swap arms to test it out fairly easily. This was my plan in the beginning, to test the NB arm before buying one. However, now I feel that would be a waste of time as I know I like this arm more than the NB arm.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

There are a few folks that really love the No-burn arm. However, most that have tried it - myself included - went back to the full burn arm within a few weeks.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Endo

Post by Endo »

Louis wrote: I would like to know:
1. Can you purge the "no-burn" steam arm over the drip tray as easily as you can with the "burn-me" steam arm?
2. How does the no-burn arm shape affect steaming using either:
a. a small pitcher; or
b. a larger pitcher?
1. No
2.a,b. For any size pitcher, you cannot get the angle of the arm straight down. I like to keep the wand fairly vertical when steaming, so for me, this was a show stopper.

Wanna buy mine? (Which I bought from Chas). :lol:
Louis

Post by Louis »

Thank you all for your feedback: exactly what I was thinking; I will go with the standard burn-me arm. Anyway I never burned myself on it with Silvia; I don't see why I would with the Vivaldi.

PS. Thank you Endo for your generous offer, but I will pass...
oton

Post by oton »

I received from Chris the no burn arm, just installed (with 2 hole tip). The arm movement it's more hard than the stock arm, so I put a minimal amount of grease in the o-ring and wow, movement is smooooth.

First attempt to make foam... fail. Weird. No foam... this is more slow than the vivaldi stock arm.

This is the second attempt:

Not bad, but for me it lacks the definition that I'm looking for.

I changed the 2 hole tip for the 4 hole tip no burn... totally useless. Very slow, t barely can create a whirlpool and I get gigantic bubbles. I'm using a 20oz pitcher.

I'll keep trying...

Return to “Accessories”