Another Damaged flow meter alarm

Did your new VII work fine initially but have an in warranty (year one) problem later. Post here for advice. Later report on your fix. Posted photos documenting repairs are encouraged.
mswanson

Another Damaged flow meter alarm

Post by mswanson »

Just wanted to say that in the last 2 weeks I've noticed reduced flow and a lack of crema. Today I just got a damaged flow meter alarm on both single shot and double shot buttons.

I looked on this forum and noticed that people were complaining of brass pieces in the volume meter. I called Chris coffee to make sure this would be the first thing to try and they agreed.

Make sure you turn off your water supply and releve alittle water pressure by pulling a 1 second shot then disconnect power.

The thing you are looking for right in front of the steam boiler. I took mine apart (you need a 4mm or 5/32's hex) and cleaned out everything. I noticed a small piece of brass. Also, there was some kind of deposits. This is strange as I have an inline softener and 0 on my hardness strips.

I made sure the propler is spinning freely and made sure to put everything back together correctly, including the screens and the springs.

After doing so, the flow is back to normal and I'm getting great shots again.

Hope this helps someone that is seeing this same problem.
Niko

Re: Another Damaged flow meter alarm

Post by Niko »

mswanson wrote:I noticed a small piece of brass. Also, there was some kind of deposits.
After over 2 years of use, I'd have to say it was the deposits that "mostly" caused this.
"Mostly" meaning that the brass shaving has been there all along and the slow build up of deposits caused the constricted flow.
Doesn't it seem like this happened?

...or the brass shaving finally moved its way through in a position to restrict the flow.
bbqnut

Post by bbqnut »

I am really curious how many other reputable espresso machines have problems with brass shavings.

It seems the S1 is plagued with them (I know mine has been), and now I always have to wonder what other little orifice has a brass shaving trapped in it.

Return to “VII In Warranty Problems”