More Teflon Pieces

Did your new VII work fine initially but have an in warranty (year one) problem later. Post here for advice. Later report on your fix. Posted photos documenting repairs are encouraged.
Niko

More Teflon Pieces

Post by Niko »

I found another healthy piece of Teflon today. I removed the end off the hot water spigot and found the piece lodged onto the screen.
I was told that there's no way teflon can travel through the system but it's certainly finding its way out of the system. It hasn't caused any serious problems so far but it cut down the steaming power in the wand a couple of months ago.
Weska

Post by Weska »

A puzzle and a nuisance both.

I don't follow why teflon can't go wherever water can, except through a fine screen as you just witnessed. Are there mesh screens spread along the various line in several places inside a Vivaldi?

I also doubt that teflon is regularly used to assemble one. That strikes me as too time-consuming a way to make a plumbing joint. It would hold up the production line, which is why you see other kinds of fittings in most appliances.
Niko

Post by Niko »

It's definitely an annoyance more than anything.
I found the piece trapped where the screen didn't allow it into my cup. Last time I opened this I found a small brass shaving that travelled all the way through and lodged onto this same screen and thankfully not into my cup.

Hopefully, this was the last piece of Teflon in the system...that's what I said last time with the steam arm.
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

I don't know if La Spaziale uses teflong tape inside the Vivaldi, but Chris certainly uses it outside. On my system there is teflon tape on all three connections to the pressure regulator (2 JG fittings and the pressure gauge) and also on the JG fitting that is on the end of the braided hose feeding directly into the Vivaldi.

Now, I would not expect to get pieces of teflon tape coming off into relatively low pressure cold water, but who knows?
Niko

Post by Niko »

La Spaziale does not use Teflon anywhere to assemble the machine.
Niko

Post by Niko »

.....eventually, they'll be no more Teflon left in my system to break off to travel around.
Last edited by Niko on Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CLB

Post by CLB »

OMG, it's headed North!
No doubt it's being carried by migrating killer bees.
It has reached PDX.
Any reports from Seattle?

Nothing found in the steamer nozzle, I already swallowed that.
Niko

Post by Niko »

DAMN YOAH!!
That looks like the same junk on my screen.
Hey! Did you take my Teflon when I wasn't lookin'?

CLB wrote: Nothing found in the steamer nozzle, I already swallowed that.
Oh trust me...you haven't swallowed it, yet. If it gets to your steam arm, it'll cut the steaming power down and you'd hopefully notice it.

Houston....the Teflon has landed.
CLB

Post by CLB »

Niko wrote:La Spaziale does not use Teflon anywhere to assemble the machine.
I don't think I buy it.
Any teflon tubung used internally? If so, how clean are the cuts on the ends?
It also looks like a teflon sleeve is used to seal the water level sensor rod on the steam boiler.

I am betting it's from the machine, or possibly the killer bees.

FWIW, I ran a couple pitchers of hot water out the dispenser and didn't see anything more on the screen. This thing also steams a full pitcher of water pretty quickly if you can think of a need for that.
Niko

Post by Niko »

That's what they told me, Teflon is not used in the manufacturing of the machines. Maybe the Teflon is added later by the dealers...?
I think your bee theory sounds better.
Mine has been producing these pieces every couple of months since I got the machine. So relax, you have plenty of time to get more bees pollinating your Spaz.

My old S1 has yet to do anything strange, where's the entertainment in that?! It produces espresso, steams milk and heats cups nicely, runs 24/7 (because I gots no timer).
CLB

Post by CLB »

Niko wrote:La Spaziale does not use Teflon anywhere to assemble the machine.
Maybe not Teflon tape, but certainly Teflon tubing. Take a look at the internal photos posted by Chas.
I wonder if they are cutting the tubing to length with a Sawzall?

What time of year do killer bees migrate?

Anxiously awaiting your response...
Niko

Post by Niko »

LaSpaz doesn't use the Teflon, I think it's used later. The boilers are plugged with Teflon on the threads, it looks like. Also, the bottom of the steam boiler looks plugged with Teflon on its threads also.
I think your Sawzall theory is correct.

I think killer bees are migrating right about now.

Man, where did you get those big-ass manometers on your VII?! Wow, it even has internet access, now I'm jealous.
CLB

Post by CLB »

While insulating my boiler, I believe I found some of that Teflon tape that LaSpaz doesn't use.
I wonder who mounts the vacuum breaker valves for them?

Niko

Post by Niko »

They get the boilers ready to go from some company in Italy. They're already pre-set to to hit the correct pressures so all LaSpaz does is just drop them in.
At least that's what Spaziale told me some months ago.

Return to “VII In Warranty Problems”