Noise when Pump running

Did your new VII work fine initially but have an in warranty (year one) problem later. Post here for advice. Later report on your fix. Posted photos documenting repairs are encouraged.
ScottW
Espresso

Noise when Pump running

Post by ScottW »

I have had my S1V2 almost 3 months. Today the pump's normal "hum" turned into a loud "vibration" noise. This noise was consistent, anytime the pump was running -- i.e., during a shot or boiler refill.

I traced down the problem. There is short bracket that elevates a starting capacitor above the motor. The small nut that holds the bracket to the motor housing had loosened, allowing the bracket and capacitor to rotate downward such that the capacitor was "laying on top" of the motor. When the motor was running, this metal-to-metal contact was creating the noise.

I rotated the capacitor & bracket back up away from the motor, tightened the bracket, and all is well again!
Niko

Post by Niko »

Thanks for the info, I have to look into my VI that makes a similar noise. The only difference here is that my S1 always made that sound so I thought it was normal unitl I got the VII. Time has come to pop the covers off for some other things so I'll be taking a gander in the area that you mentioned also.
ScottW
Espresso

Post by ScottW »

Niko wrote:Thanks for the info, I have to look into my VI that makes a similar noise. The only difference here is that my S1 always made that sound so I thought it was normal unitl I got the VII. Time has come to pop the covers off for some other things so I'll be taking a gander in the area that you mentioned also.
Niko - The capacitor bracket is on the front of the motor, so all you have to remove to check it is the front splash panel. (Of course I only found the cause after removing the top and side panels first, then the front....)
Niko

Post by Niko »

Great!
That's even better, glad you posted this extra detail before I ripped all the covers off. This machine sounds pretty rickety at times, I'm almost sure this is one of the causes. It's got loose side panels as well - I tightened those when I first got the S1 but they're starting to speak again.

Return to “VII In Warranty Problems”