Gasket comes out with portafilter

Did your new VII work fine initially but have an in warranty (year one) problem later. Post here for advice. Later report on your fix. Posted photos documenting repairs are encouraged.
Juno

Gasket comes out with portafilter

Post by Juno »

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the site and new to the VII. I just got mine 3 weeks ago. I love it and everything's going great save one tiny issue. I usually leave my machine on all day with a portafilter in place in the group (not tightly locked in, just loosely attached). Occasionally, when I pull out the portafilter to pull a new shot, the grouphead gasket comes out with the portafilter. I push the gasket back in place and it usually stays put for a day or so. I've also tried using the 2nd gasket that comes with the machine, but after about a week, it has stared to come out with the portafilter as well. I know this is not normal. I called Chris Coffee and they said the gasket should not come out without removing the screens (though it looks to me like the gasket has a larger diameter than the screens and it could go in and come out with the screens in place). Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions?
Endo

Re: Gasket comes out with portafilter

Post by Endo »

There could be some manufacturing oils on the gasket or grouphead groove. Try washing the gasket and grouphead groove with soap to remove any surface oils and reinstall. Put the gasket in the groove, lock in the PF hard and then remove it. Leave the machine on without the PF removed overnight. Once the gasket swells a bit and gets stuck to the grouphead, it will stay there. After a day, put the PF back in and use like normal.

Note: Don't lubricate the basket rim. It will cause you to overtighten the PF.

By the way, I replaced my 1st gasket recently after 2.5 years use (it pays to turn off the machine when not used). When I bought my new gaskets, the retailer told me there is a 6mm and 7mm thickness version. One think one is for the S1 and the other for the S5. Who knew?
Juno

Re: Gasket comes out with portafilter

Post by Juno »

Thanks Endo.

Before I saw your response, I tried cleaning the gasket and the grouphead. Then I stuck the portafilter in place, but instead of loosely, I locked it in tight. And I left it in place overnight. Now the gasket seams to be in place properly and it doesn't come out regardless of how tightly or loosely I keep the portafilter in the group.

Return to “VII In Warranty Problems”