Difficult spouts

Did you have a bad Day One "Out-of-Box" Experience? Ask about it here then later report back with your final resolution.
slofty

Difficult spouts

Post by slofty »

Hello everyone,

I just got my V2 and I'm attempting to screw the pf spouts on, but they only go on halfway and seem to get stuck. I'm applying some serious pressure (read: leaving deep, painful imprints in my hands) and I worry that they'll cross thread if I use any leverage.

Any suggestions?

Steve
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

Stop and don't hurt yourself; they only screw on part way.
Enjoy,
Mark
Niko

Post by Niko »

Mark is right, don't hurt yourself.

but if you're an idiot* like me :lol:
read on...

I wrap the metal shaft of a screwdriver with a thin layer of paper towel and slide it through across the spouts, then use it as a wrench to twist the spout on farther than bare hands can handle.
I managed to get a double spout all the way on one of the PF's with no threads left.

*you're not the idiot (I am).
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I guess we should ask ourselves why the threads on the PFs and on the spouts aren't the same. Regardless of the answer, that's the way they are and have always been.

That said, when I had the original S1 and purchased the PF handle with pressure gauge in order to measure the group pressure, I noticed that the threads on that PF handle were different than on the others. I assume this was due to the fact that the nut that holds the pressure gauge on must have a leak tight fit under high pressure. One thing I have never checked is to see if the threads on that PF are an exact match for the spouts.

After a time of using the double spout, pulling shots into two shot glasses, and then pouring them both in a cup, I finally realized that was a ridiculous waste. Now when I am not using my Bottomless PF, I just use the PF with no spout and do the pour right into the final serving cup.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Weska

Post by Weska »

Confirming all the above, I had the very same question when my S1 arrived, and I used wrenches to bind the spout deeper than finger-tight too. No harm done (except to remove the chrome from the threads), and no benefit either.

Like Chas, I now use no spout at all, or the naked pf.

The poor match between spout and pf is an anomaly, for sure, but nothing to worry about.
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

I wanted two double portafilters so I bought a double spout from Espresso Parts NW. The spout is shorter than the one that comes with the Vivaldi and is polished nicely. Chris may also sell it. It screws on further and looks much cleaner than the stock Vivaldi double spout.

It is part F240 on this page:
http://www.espressoparts.com/category/0 ... rs_boiler/

Take care,
Mark
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

"Difficult" is being kind! The single spout doesn't even want to screw on. I'll be using the bottomless P/F most of the time but they could have done a much better job on those threads.
Niko

Post by Niko »

You guys should really try the screwdriver trick, it makes it so easy to install those pesky spouts. 8)
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I used a screwdriver to tighten the double spout but the threads are messed up on the single as it doesn't even want to start. I'm going to clamp the double in a soft jaw vise so I can turn the spout to the exact position I want. My guess is that these thread on nicely "before" they are plated but they aren't allowing enough clearance when they cut the threads to allow for the plating thickness. I'll mess with the single another time if I think I'll actually use it at some point.
BobG

Post by BobG »

I used a very heavy duty vise and put wood blocks inside the vice jaws so as not to mar the finish. I used these standard portafilters for a few years and then switched to the naked portafilter. I don't bother with the other portafilters except to use the single portafilter as my dedicated backflush portafilter.
Bushrod

Post by Bushrod »

So will the 3/8" single downspout fit?

Excuse my ignorance, please! I just got mine two days ago and it isn't even hooked up yet. (Kitchen remodel)
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

It should screw on but it will require some effort. Use the "screwdriver in the slot" trick to give you added leverage.
Niko

Post by Niko »

I had to break a couple of fingers before the screwdriver came out of the bag :lol:
I'd rather tear up my hands than put a scratch on the precious PF's.
Body parts heal (for the most part) but espresso machine part don't :wink:

Return to “VII Day One Problems”