Boiler light flashing

Did you have a bad Day One "Out-of-Box" Experience? Ask about it here then later report back with your final resolution.
btberry07

Boiler light flashing

Post by btberry07 »

Hi everyone! Just got my new Vivaldi II after reading all the recommendations. I plumbed it in last night shich was say easier than I thought it would be. Anyway, I waited until this am to plug it in...I heard the water draw into the machine, the lights flashed, the boiler light is blinking....but the machine never got hot. Everything is cool to the touch. 2 hours later after plugging it in and then trying again, same result. I emailed Chris's coffee but it is Sunday so I don't really expect a response on the weekend. Searched here but couldn't find a similar experience. Something got disconected is my guess, sensor maybe? Any suggestins? Thanks!
Weska

Post by Weska »

I think you are right, btberry07, that this is probably something shaken loose in shipment. Many here have reported things of that kind.

If you're in the mood with all Sunday to play, you could try taking the covers off. The top one, the pierced cup warmer panel comes off after loosening a single screw that you will see front and center through the only circular hole that is pierced in it. (You can look over the photos on the main website here. There are lots of great ones that Chas and others have posted, and they will show you what's inside.) With the top panel off you can see whether the push-on connectors are detached or loose or cockeyed.

That is probably as much as you should do without hearing from Chris.

And don't discount the possiblity that you could get an answer over the weekend. They are a very responsive bunch and seem never to be long out of reach. (And I say this who never bought more than a few peripheral parts from them.)
btberry07

new problem now

Post by btberry07 »

Thanks for your advice. I have to say that my diagnosis has now changed. I checked all the plumbing connections and found that the water was not completely on but only partially open at the main beneath the sink. After I turned the water on fully and restarted the machine, it came alive and started to heat up....then it started leaking from beneath the machine. I checked the connection and it is tight but still leaking. Now I wonder if it is the water pressure that is the problem or could it be that the screw doesn't fully seal? I have taken it off and reseated it with the same results.
Niko

Post by Niko »

The leaking is normal.
It does have to do with the water pressure.
My VII actually leaks more than my older S1 because of the pressure being different, it hasn't bothered me enough to make a change. As a matter of fact, the older machine hardly leaks at all - it leaves two drops a day in the tray.
My belief is don't fix anything unless it's broken... :D

Enjoy your new machine!
I'm sure you're well on your way to about 42 shots today :shaking2:
btberry07

Post by btberry07 »

This leaking unfortunately is a steady dripping, not quite a stream of water, and covered the counter in about half an hour of inattention. I placed a towel under the unit so I could make sure it was working otherwise and pulled my first shot since I just couldn't wait any longer and.....excellent! the very first time (with the bottomless portafilter) a single stream with great creama Wow. I was so surprised that it came out so nice that I had to drink it right down. I thought it would take me all day and a lb of coffee to get it right. Thanks to all who contribute to this forum and provide advice.

Too bad that the leaking is still going on. Maybe I can find some kind of plumbing product to seal the area?
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

If you have a leak where the braided tubing connects to the Vivaldi you probably have a damaged compression fitting. I don't believe that you can seal that without replacing the fitting.

Clearly you need to talk with Chris (presuming that you bought it from him).

Good luck and enjoy,
Mark
Niko

Post by Niko »

Did you use teflon tape? Assuming it's the braided hose which connects to the machine.
I thought you were talking about leaking into the drip tray, not the counter :shock:
Sorry to hear about that.
btberry07

Post by btberry07 »

Yes I talked to someone at Chris's who called me on Sunday! Wow was I impressed. We went through everything and he agreed that it was a good idea to try the tape (I don't know what it's made of but it's white!). I put 5 or 6 layers on and rescrewed the nut onto the thread and it held nicely. I kept it on for 4 hours this afternoon and no leaking so far... I hope I don't need a new compression fitting. Thanks everyone for your input...I'll let you know if it holds out over the next few days/weeks.
Brian
Niko

Post by Niko »

Brian,
you should be OK if it hasn't leaked by now. Yes, Chris is known for around the clock service.
Teflon tape does miracles.
bbqnut

Post by bbqnut »

And a new John Guest fitting wouldn't cost much or be hard to replace if the tape doesn't work.

Return to “VII Day One Problems”