First day better than expected

Did you have a bad Day One "Out-of-Box" Experience? Ask about it here then later report back with your final resolution.
opensecret

First day better than expected

Post by opensecret »

My Mini arrived 4 weeks ago from Chris Coffee. It was wetter than I expected after unpacking but that's apparently fairly normal, and a paper towel took care of it. The only coffee I had in the house on day 1 was an unopened can of Illy pre-ground espresso that had been around for a year or two. I wasn't very optimistic, but I used more or less the technique I had used with my old Solis S-70, using the same Reg Barber tamper. The first shot wasn't perfect, but there was crema and it actually tasted pretty good -- definitely above what comes out of the nearest Starbucks super-auto. As I continued to play, I managed to produce some shots that were worse than the first, and never got any that were much better. But once I moved on to better coffee and my own grinder, things started to improve. Some of my problems related to over-dosing, and advice on this board helped there. After 4 weeks, the average level of my shots has improved significantly, though there are still ups and downs as I play with different coffees, grinds, temps, and tamping techniques. It's a complicated art form, but I'm having a lot of fun.
oton

Re: First day better than expected

Post by oton »

Congrats for your Spaz. I have mine for 2 weeks ago and I still excited.
opensecret wrote: It's a complicated art form, but I'm having a lot of fun.
I agree. The art & enjoyment it's the cool thing about making espresso. Make a beverage in a handcraft way, with passion, to offer it at the people who you love, it's priceless.
Endo

Post by Endo »

Stale Illy? That's no way to welcome the Mini to your home. :smile:

I had a similar experience with stale coffee at the beginning but things have definitely improved since. I find the Mini is just as difficult to dial in as any other machine I've owned. For some reason, based on all the DB hype I read, I expected it to be easier. It is only the temperature management that is easier, everything else is the same. The steaming is actually much harder that many machines.

Still, I'm enjoying it a lot. I didn't expect a super-auto after all. :lol:
opensecret

Post by opensecret »

Endo wrote: I find the Mini is just as difficult to dial in as any other machine I've owned. For some reason, based on all the DB hype I read, I expected it to be easier. It is only the temperature management that is easier, everything else is the same. The steaming is actually much harder that many machines.

Still, I'm enjoying it a lot. I didn't expect a super-auto after all. :lol:
I'd agree she's sensitive. I'm finding that, compared to my prior machine, there's similar variability, but it's variability around a higher standard. The best shots are exciting, though I wouldn't claim that any attain the holy grail of the God shot. The worst tend to be a little sour. I've used 4 or 5 different coffees in the first month, and I probably should pick one and stick with it until I've got it down before moving on to something else. Or maybe I should break down and follow the wisdom of many on this board who say weigh the coffee -- I've always done it by volume, but that's tricky when you switch among different beans..
Endo

Post by Endo »

opensecret wrote:
I'd agree she's sensitive. I'm finding that, compared to my prior machine, there's similar variability, but it's variability around a higher standard. The best shots are exciting, though I wouldn't claim that any attain the holy grail of the God shot. The worst tend to be a little sour.
That has been exactly my experience as well.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I would definitely recommend using a scale, at least until you get familiar with the dose levels in the basket. I weigh the beans before hand as opposed to weighing the grounds. Not as exact I suppose but for a 16g dose I'll toss 16.3-16.5g of beans in the grinder & call it close enough.

I tried several different coffees the first month I had the machine & looking back I'd say that was a mistake. If you find a blend or S/O you like stick with it until you get things sorted out.

Return to “VII Day One Problems”