I killed my Spaz!

Did something go wrong? Ask about it here. Later report and document the resolution here including out of pocket costs for replacement parts.
cappadoc

I killed my Spaz!

Post by cappadoc »

In an incredibly stupid move, I was pulling a shot on Thursday and, while I wasn't watching, the alarm lights were blinking for damaged flow meter. I shut off the machine as soon as I saw it, but now the flow alarm lights blink when the group pressure is only 3-4 bars. I have completely cleaned the group head screens, but no joy. The screens were MUCH dirtier than usual (I clean every 2-3 weeks at 4 shots daily use).
The other problem is that the Flo-Jet supplying the machine will not turn off. BTW, this started at the same time.
So I'm trying to diagnose the dang thing. The pump works fine. I get normal hot water and steam operation. I can only think that it's the volumetric sensor or the electronic valve. I'm not sure how to tell which, if either of these, is the culprit. I am fairly handy, so I am hoping I can fix it myself. I won't be able to call Chris until the middle of the week, so I am hoping for some help.

Any thoughts out there?

Desperately needing coffee,
Jeff Johnson
bbqnut

Post by bbqnut »

You can see the thread below to see if the flow meter has any obstructions or debris. Not sure how much help that will be, but it is better than nothing until you can call Chris'.

http://www.rimpo.org/wforum/viewtopic.p ... 9&start=25
cappadoc

I think it may be the pump?

Post by cappadoc »

I tried the above without success. Thanks bbqnut :D .
I am now thinking it may be the pump. The group moves water, but it sputters sometimes and still very low pressure before the flow alarm trips, about 2-4 bars. The FloJet runs continuously when on as if the machine is not sending back an "I'm full" signal.

Anyone else care to try?

Jeff
bbqnut

Re: I think it may be the pump?

Post by bbqnut »

cappadoc wrote:I tried the above without success. Thanks bbqnut :D .
I am now thinking it may be the pump. The group moves water, but it sputters sometimes and still very low pressure before the flow alarm trips, about 2-4 bars. The FloJet runs continuously when on as if the machine is not sending back an "I'm full" signal.

Anyone else care to try?

Jeff
I suppose it could be the pump, motor, or capacitor right?

If you remove the front panel there is just a chrome clamp with a screw to separate them. When you pull the pump away from the motor, try turning the male shaft on the pump to see if it is hard to turn.

To further test the capacitor and motor, with the pump not attached activate the drink button and see if the motor spins nicely.

Any problem with the above could indicate a motor or capacitor problem.

I am not really sure how to test the pump at this point though. I think if you talk to Jason at Chris', you will get the best help.

Try recording your problem on video, and send an email to service@chriscoffee.com explaining the problem.
cappadoc

It was vthe FloJet!

Post by cappadoc »

So, finally I got Jason at Chris' on the phone after completely tearing my S1 apart. We went through everything. I cleaned the solenoid and 3-way and volumetric sensor. I took apart the motor and pump. I never considered the FloJet since it was pumping when disconnected, but it turns out this was the problem. I put the feed line into the water bottle and now everything is fine.

I am awaitng delivery on my new FloJet. Anyone who uses a FloJet may want to note this problem. Apparently, when the pump goes, it will still move water, but not when working against the pump pressure.

Jeff

Return to “S1 Operational Problems”