Failing Pump

Did something go wrong? Ask about it here. Later report and document the resolution here including out of pocket costs for replacement parts.
Niko

Failing Pump

Post by Niko »

We can add another pump to our list.
This time it's from the 3rd Vivaldi (yes, we have a 3 third in the family :roll: ).
The machine is 4 years old (5 according to the sticker) but it's been in operation for only 4.
Here's a pick with more to follow, the motor is very noisy so a good cleaning and re-greasing the bearings is coming up.
I'll post follow-ups after some parts arrive, time for a preinfusion chamber in this one as well since we're in there.
Attachments
pump leak.jpg
pump leak.jpg (125.46 KiB) Viewed 15075 times
JohnB

Re: Failing Pump

Post by JohnB »

Nice to see you are still around. I'd change the bearing if its noisy as the balls are already damaged. Try to buy a bearing with removable plastic/rubber shields. New bearings seldom come with adequate grease so I always open them up & add some before installing.
Niko

Post by Niko »

I'm still around, been on vacation and then hit the ground running to play catch up since I returned.
I haven't looked closely at the motor yet, can the bearings be replaced without removing the motor? I do not look forward to removing that beast :lol:
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Niko, once you remove the pump from the motor and remove the motor mount bolts from the bottom of the chassis, you should be able to lift the bolts clear of the holes and slide it right out the back.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Niko wrote:I'm still around, been on vacation and then hit the ground running to play catch up since I returned.
I haven't looked closely at the motor yet, can the bearings be replaced without removing the motor? I do not look forward to removing that beast :lol:
I haven't tried it yet but it certainly looks like you could remove that lower mount bracket, the 3 motor cover bolts & then slide the front cover off. You would have to be careful not to knock off the rear cover once the bolts are out & its possible that the rotor shaft could be stuck in the inner bearing race. Pulling the whole motor out isn't that big of a deal once the rear cover is off. You don't even have to remove the side covers, just loosen the rear upper & lower side cover mounting bolts on one side & pull it out enough to slide out the rear cover(after removing the 4 r/c bolts).
Endo

Post by Endo »

I'm not a rotary guy, but have you guys considered doing preventative maintenance once a year and re-packing the bearing with waterproof grease. The design is similar to my older mountain bike bottom brackets and I'd struggled with rust here as well (until they went to a better sealed design) The only way to stop it was by stripping it once a year and repacking with lots of Phil Woods waterproof grease.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Endo wrote:I'm not a rotary guy, but have you guys considered doing preventative maintenance once a year and re-packing the bearing with waterproof grease. The design is similar to my older mountain bike bottom brackets and I'd struggled with rust here as well (until they went to a better sealed design) The only way to stop it was by stripping it once a year and repacking with lots of Phil Woods waterproof grease.
Read down through this thread & you'll see I did something similar: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=986
Niko

Post by Niko »

Good info, guys.
As for checking the other machines I have, every year I change the filters - the pumps do get popped off for a quick check. The other Vivaldis were fine and this one just started acting up about a month ago.
So has anyone else changed the bearings on the motor?
Endo

Post by Endo »

Might be a good maintenance tip for Chas to add to the Manual. These problems could develop into something much more costly as more time gets accumulated on these machines. You'd being doing a favor to the less mechanically inclined.
Last edited by Endo on Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Niko

Post by Niko »

I don't get to spend much time on this machine, it was relocated and I installed it two years ago and haven't checked anything on it since. These machines are very reliable if you do your part to maintain them. Removing the pump for a checkup is very easy, hardest part is looking for the long screw driver :lol:
Now about those bearings, if anyone has any info on what type what fit (and where to buy) please do post a link ;-)
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Niko wrote:I don't get to spend much time on this machine, it was relocated and I installed it two years ago and haven't checked anything on it since. These machines are very reliable if you do your part to maintain them. Removing the pump for a checkup is very easy, hardest part is looking for the long screw driver :lol:
Now about those bearings, if anyone has any info on what type what fit (and where to buy) please do post a link ;-)
Once you get the cover off just take the number off the bearing & call around. Napa or your local bearing supply house should have it or can order it for you. I got the bearings for my Super Jolly at Napa & I doubt that one is anything special.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Niko wrote: Now about those bearings, if anyone has any info on what type what fit (and where to buy) please do post a link ;-)
Here you go, numbers & all: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=486
Niko

Post by Niko »

Thanks, John...
Now I remember that thread :-P
I'll see what I find and post back. Funny thing is that the E61 machine that is a backup to that machine just went down too :evil:
...when it rains, it pours :lol:

Return to “S1 Operational Problems”