Cold solder joint

Did something go wrong? Ask about it here. Later report and document the resolution here including out of pocket costs for replacement parts.
Barry

Cold solder joint

Post by Barry »

Two weeks after the machine arrived, the LED indicating if the steam boiler was active would not illuminate whether the steam boiler was on or not. Tech from Chris's Coffee and I spoke over the phone and narrowed the problem down to the circuit board that the LED's are soldered on. After disassembling the machine, I noticed that the solder joint for the LED was bad. Re-soldered and everything has been fine since. Kudo's to the tech's at Chris's Coffee for diagnosing over the phone vs. having to ship back!

Barry
MrMonkey

Post by MrMonkey »

Hmmm. Just saw this pose even though it has been here for a while. I'm having intermittent problems with one of the temperature LEDs on my machine (see Intermittent LED problem thread).

The tech I spoke to at Chris's Coffee indicated that the control panel which contained the LEDs was a 'sealed unit'. Suggested that I check the connections between the panel and the main control board. But, it looks like Barry had the control panel apart to resoder the LED.

I haven't had my machine apart yet. But, from Barry's experience the control panel is NOT a 'sealed unit'. Is that correct?
JonW

Post by JonW »

No, it's not a sealed unit. The casing is a two piece unit that has some screws on the back. After removing the screws, you can slide the back off and pop the unit out the front. You can then unplug the 16 conductor cable to completely remove the unit. The LED/button board comes out as one piece and you can easily inspect the soldering.

Return to “S1 Operational Problems”