nonresponsive double-shot button

Did something go wrong? Ask about it here. Later report and document the resolution here including out of pocket costs for replacement parts.
jlecount

nonresponsive double-shot button

Post by jlecount »

Hey all,

Recently my double-shot button has stopped working. For a few weeks, it had become 'tempermental', requiring multiple attempts to make it work. Now it's stopped altogether.

Luckily I hadn't programmed volumetric dosing on those buttons, so I'm using the single-shot button instead, which works fine.

Is there a likely cause or something I can do to diagnose?

Cheers,
Jason
MDL
Barista

Re: nonresponsive double-shot button

Post by MDL »

If your machine was purchased when you joined I would have to guess that it was old age failure of the switch. I believe that the switches are membrane switches on the printed circuit board; if that is correct they don't last forever. Since you don't seem to use the buttons for volumetric dosing I would think that you can just use the single shot button until it fails and then replace the board.

All of this is conjecture based upon my experience and is not based upon intimate knowledge of the guts of the printed circuit board.
jlecount

Post by jlecount »

Yep, that's exactly what I was guessing and what I'm doing...Thanks for confirming my guess with yours ;-)

Cheers and merry Christmas!

Jason
Futahaguro
Espresso

Post by Futahaguro »

I think I was having similar issues with the used one I bought. I would really have to press the button hard and wiggle it. What actually fixed it for me was to take the buttons and board apart and clean the contacts on the board. I just used a damp towel but I think an alcohol of some sort would probably work even better. Once I cleaned the back of the rubber buttons and the contacts on the board the buttons worked great!
Expobar Office Pulser (12 years)
La Spaziale S1V1 2008+ (I just got it)
Rancilio Rocky Doserless (12 years)
La Spaziale Top Grinder (I just got it) (Macap M4)
MGearig

Post by MGearig »

I tried cleaning, but that didn't work. A hole-punch size circle of aluminum foil and a sniff of cyanoacrylate fixed it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Futahaguro
Espresso

Post by Futahaguro »

Where did you put the foil? On the rubber button side? It may be a stupid question but I'm not sure if the rubber button is always touching the board, and the pressure squishes some connections together, or the rubber is just off of the button and then with the foil it will bring the foil in contact with the board.

Thanks.
Expobar Office Pulser (12 years)
La Spaziale S1V1 2008+ (I just got it)
Rancilio Rocky Doserless (12 years)
La Spaziale Top Grinder (I just got it) (Macap M4)
MGearig

Post by MGearig »

Foil circle on the rubber button. That completes the circuits to activate that switch.

Return to “S1 Operational Problems”