53mm Portafilter and 3rd Wave Coffee recommendations

Tips and Tricks you have discovered with your S1, VII, Mini-VII, Dream, or Dream T that lets you do any aspect of coffee making, steaming, maintenance, etc better.
nakedian

53mm Portafilter and 3rd Wave Coffee recommendations

Post by nakedian »

I'm a little surprised I'm not seeing this mentioned anywhere else on this Forum.. if I'm missing something please direct me...

I am curious how people are dealing with 3rd wave American style Espresso recommendations with their 53mm portafilter. These recommendations are usually 20g, 30 sec, 30g out. Do you think we are getting the same, or similar results as the coffee shops themselves using these parameters? Do you use less coffee, shorter times, or less expected espresso out? How do you compensate, if at all?

Personally, I have been using a triple basket and keeping all other parameters the same using an Espro calibrated tamper. I'm getting some pretty good shots, but I always wonder if it's how the roaster intended.

Thanks All!
thermosiphon

Re: 53mm Portafilter and 3rd Wave Coffee recommendations

Post by thermosiphon »

nakedian wrote: I am curious how people are dealing with 3rd wave American style Espresso recommendations with their 53mm portafilter. These recommendations are usually 20g, 30 sec, 30g out. Do you think we are getting the same, or similar results as the coffee shops themselves using these parameters? Do you use less coffee, shorter times, or less expected espresso out? How do you compensate, if at all?
This is probably one of the most discussed topics regarding La Spaziale machines in general...how does having a 53mm portafilter affect your brew parameters and the end result?? It is perhaps not couched in a concern for the recommendations of time and brew ratio by 3rd wave roasters, but it's definitely a topic of much discussion in general.

Here is what I have found. I have a Lucca M58 E61 PID dual boiler. I also have a La Spaziale S1 Vivaldi II. I took the same beans, grind, and dose that was dialed into the Lucca M58 and used it on the Vivaldi II, and found the blonding point, mouthfeel, and overall flavor nearly identical. The only minor difference I noted was a decreased acidity/sourness from the Vivaldi II and I consider that to be an improvement.

So at least in my experience, yes, we are getting the same results using these parameters to the extent that our equipment allows; the portafilter size doesn't seem to factor into it too much. If anything, I would say the 53mm portafilter size has made my extractions more even and my pucks much easier to knock out afterward :grin:

For the record, I dose 18g on my Vivaldi II without any issues. For most coffee I brew, I will get 32 - 38 g out by the time the shot blonds.
nakedian

Re: 53mm Portafilter and 3rd Wave Coffee recommendations

Post by nakedian »

Thank you so much.. very informative. You say it's one of the most discussed topcs could you direct me to one or two of these.. I must not be looking in the right parts of the forums.

Return to “Tips & Tricks”