Channeling - a cure for

Tips and Tricks you have discovered with your S1, VII, Mini-VII, Dream, or Dream T that lets you do any aspect of coffee making, steaming, maintenance, etc better.
smuseby

Channeling - a cure for

Post by smuseby »

It's perhaps premature to declare victory, but here goes. After months of trying all manner of approaches, including a triple basket, I seem to have found an approach that has eliminated channeling - no doubt, I'll have a sprayed counter tomorrow morning.
I put 19g of coffee into a double basket. I tap the basket several times on a rubber mat. until the coffee has settled down, followed by more tapping on the side of the PF with my tamper. Then, I nutate (learned that word here - the motion of a spinning coin before it lands flat) first with a very light weight, large nutation(?), but increasing to - guessing 20 pounds and a much smaller nutation, ending with my tamper flat - just like a coin. Finally, I tamp with 30 pounds of pressure and spin the tamper about 1/4 turn.
I'm getting very good, consistent shots, with no channeling. But as with science, this result needs to be reproduced by others for verification. I'm all ears.
RonMJ

Re: Channeling - a cure for

Post by RonMJ »

WDT. I use a thin paper clip straighted out and stuck into the botton of a champagne cork. Double basket, bottomless porta filter.

Simply shake the filter as the basket fills. Then WDT. two-three light taps on the tamping mat. Works every time.
smuseby

Post by smuseby »

Technique - I tried the WDT and it was a miserable failure for me.
RonMJ

Post by RonMJ »

Yeah I've read where for some people it's a failure and for others a cure. For me it was a cure. And a cheap one for anyone to try out - just un-bend a small paper clip. You never know.
expy98

Post by expy98 »

19g in a double basket? Do you have any headspace with that much ground? Have you tried the nickel test?
The most I could get is about 18g (not my preferred dose) and that's w/ hard tamping to get enough headspace. But then again
it might depends on your coffee, your grinder and how fluffy the ground is. I also replaced the shower screen
hex bolt w/ a smaller bolt head to get more headspace.

but hopefully your cure continue to work for you.

Return to “Tips & Tricks”