Espro 12oz pitcher

Tips and Tricks you have discovered with your S1, VII, Mini-VII, Dream, or Dream T that lets you do any aspect of coffee making, steaming, maintenance, etc better.
scareyourpassenger

Espro 12oz pitcher

Post by scareyourpassenger »

Help! this has set me back from making microfoam into the land of a frothy messes! I start with 4 oz of milk and keep the tip straight down only to find that there is just way too much power. I have tried controlling via the lever but I just can't keep it from making large bubbles and then getting to temp before I can sort it out.

Anyone have experience with the 12oz version and had success?
Louis

Re: Espro 12oz pitcher

Post by Louis »

scareyourpassenger wrote:Help! this has set me back from making microfoam into the land of a frothy messes! I start with 4 oz of milk and keep the tip straight down only to find that there is just way too much power. I have tried controlling via the lever but I just can't keep it from making large bubbles and then getting to temp before I can sort it out.

Anyone have experience with the 12oz version and had success?
This won't be the answer you're looking for but it might give some explanation:

I use the 12oz Espro Toroid daily (one cappuccino) and, yes, I do need to keep the steam power low to prevent the milk from quickly overflowing out of the pitcher. On the plumbed-in S1, this is easy to do (I adjust the steaming power and leave it there), but I understand it might be another business on the On/Off spring lever of the Mini.

I'd say: keep a hand on the lever to control power at all time, preposition the wand to be straight down and centered in the pitcher, start with the tip under the milk surface, quickly introduce air in the mix (first 5 sec out of 20?) by lowering the pitcher a bit, then raise it back up until the correct temperature is reached. With a missing hand, a thermometer might help here... (I keep a hand under the pitcher to know when the correct temp is reached).
expy98

Post by expy98 »

I assume you're using the 4 hole tip?

I use 2 different 12oz pitchers, both straight walled types, and switched from 4 hole tip to 2 hole tip back to the stock 4 hole tip and
thought I was happy but once I switched back to the 2 hole tip, it's been much more consistent. I steam about < 3oz.
I used to go straight down but now stretch straight down then angle the wand and put the wand closer to the side to incorporate. For
little milk straight down is too turbulent for me. When using the 4 hole tip, I had to use more milk which leaves a lot of leftover.

With the 2 hole tip, wouldn't need to "throttle" the lever.
scareyourpassenger

Post by scareyourpassenger »

Yup, the stock 4 hole tip. I have a larger straight wall pitcher and I have no issues with it except the spout not being suitable for art. Pretty sure I tried sinking the tip prior to flipping on the steam and I even tried just barely cracking the steam lever. It is just just seems too powerfull for the gentle curves and low liquid volume.

I am not giving up yet but I bought the toroid to make things easier.
expy98

Post by expy98 »

maybe try:

- 6oz of milk
- purge wand for 5 secs and don't let steam build up as much before you steam
- plug 2 holes w/ toothpicks (I did that for a few months before buying one, works the same)
peter

Post by peter »

I think w/ small milk you almost have to tip the pitcher to get enough depth during the texturing phase, but that defeats the purpose of the Toroid. I do 3oz. in a 12oz. Rattleware pitcher. The initial stretching phase is almost non-existent, maybe a full second, straight down in the middle with the tip just slightly below the surface. Then the pitcher is tipped to texture the milk.
az erik

Post by az erik »

I fought my Espro this morning as well. I've got the 3 whole tip and a bit too much throttle on the steam, ended up without foam but hot milk for the most part. I go for the bottom right side of the pitcher except 2 of the tips kinda point backwards so it flopped the milk pretty quick, i was also using skim so this was hot fast, about 20 seconds for 6oz. I'll give it a better try tomorrow. With my Expo I was dead on sexy with the foam, but it took 35 seconds to do with a 2 hole .9mm tip.
Endo

Post by Endo »

My secret foaming weapon: Tapered 16 oz pitcher. The tapered sides match the S1 tip hole angles perfectly, causing the milk to roll perfectly just by centering the wand in the pitcher.
peter

Post by peter »

The secret is out! But... thanks to you Endo, there will never be another 'how do I froth for latte art' thread again. Thanks to you the world will be more boring. :cry:

Return to “Tips & Tricks”