Theoretical question about "Naked" use

Tips and Tricks you have discovered with your S1, VII, Mini-VII, Dream, or Dream T that lets you do any aspect of coffee making, steaming, maintenance, etc better.
David23

Theoretical question about "Naked" use

Post by David23 »

Ok, so I have been using my naked portafilter, and it is great to see the pull, and is helping me see channeling etc. But I started to wonder this morning if using a naked portafilter has an effect on the quality of the espresso? I'm certainly not suggesting I am skilled enough for a possible difference that minute to have any effect on my shots, but just as a question of theory. Could the open bottom allow the brew to exit more rapidly than say a single spout portafilter, and thus perhaps not hang around in the basket quite long enough to get all the flavors etc. out of the coffee? If we are looking at differences in a second or two in pulls, and in a degree or two in temps as having noticable effect of the taste of a shot, couldn't this difference also have an effect?
Endo

Re: Theoretical question about "Naked" use

Post by Endo »

David23 wrote: But I started to wonder this morning if using a naked portafilter has an effect on the quality of the espresso?
Definitely not the same temperature stability. There is a trade-off to be made between improved pour (more feedback on technique) and less temperature stability. The naked PF is really best as a "learning tool" and for making pretty pictures.

The naked PF also gives added convenience in easy basket removal, flat bottom for tamping and less mess if you use the Mazzer grinder (doesn't interfere with the PF holder...although you can always remove the holder if you like).

For these convenience reasons, some people choose to use it all the time.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I have ended up only using my necked PF for diagnostic purposes. Mostly I'll use either a single spout or a regular PF w/o any spout. So long as the pour looks thick and rich, I stick with it. If I start to see pours that look and taste nasty, I'll go back to the naked PF, sharpen my technique until things are looking good, then go back to the std PF.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
David23

Post by David23 »

Ok, you guys both make lots of sense. I guess it wasn't such an off the wall question after all. I do really like to use it for all the reasons stated above, and will probably continue its use. It was really more a matter of curiousity.

BTW, Endo, I tweeked my basket retaining wire, and now the basket slips in and out of the portafilter quite easily, and yet stays in while knocking out the puck. So, I plan to do all my dosing, fussing, tamping, praying etc. with the basket out, then install etc. Not so rushed, and with my skill level, I need the extra time!
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Endo wrote: Definitely not the same temperature stability. There is a trade-off to be made between improved pour (more feedback on technique) and less temperature stability. The naked PF is really best as a "learning tool" and for making pretty pictures.
I use only the naked p/f myself. Have you done any real tests to determine if this loss of "temp stability" in the upper p/f A/exists & b/ has any effect on the espresso in the cup. Personally I think the only thing you would gain with the stock p/f is slightly hotter espresso in the cup as it wouldn't have the cooling effect of falling through the air "after" it is brewed. Since this minor temp loss is after the fact I doubt you would taste it. Since there is a space between the bottom of the basket & the stock p/f spout I also doubt speed of extraction is affected one way or the other. Of course I could be wrong but there is only one way to find out.
RapidCoffee

Post by RapidCoffee »

I don't buy the temperature argument, but I do find a subtle difference in mouthfeel between otherwise-comparable shots. Crema volume is increased with the NPF, or perhaps it's better to say that it's reduced by additional metal contact in the regular PF. If pressed, I'd admit a slight preference for the silkier crema of a regular PF. IMHO this is outweighed by the advantages of a NPF, which I use about 99% of the time.

Return to “Tips & Tricks”