Using an S1 in a commercial setting

If you have a question or comment specific to the VII that doesn't fit in any other VII category, submit it here.
miniwarmth

Using an S1 in a commercial setting

Post by miniwarmth »

I'm curious to know how usable is the S1 Mk2 in a light commercial environment? Do the recovery times and stability hold up? Any one out there using one in a commercial space.

tia,
Nik
Niko

Post by Niko »

You mean a plumbed in VII?
There was a member who used an original S1 in his small cafe for a couple of good years - I can't answer for him but it worked out pretty well until they expanded, so they replaced it with a bigger machine.
miniwarmth

Post by miniwarmth »

Niko wrote:You mean a plumbed in VII?
Yup. I'm thinking of going that route instead of a used commercial machine. Worst case is that I get a nice machine for home use, if things don't work out.

I'm really just curious about the limitations of machine? e.g how many shots per hour in a real environment?
PBL
Espresso

How many shots?

Post by PBL »

We were a few people over the other day and the S1 was pulling shots at 45 to 60 second intervals and there were no signs slowing down. Grind, pull, 8 seconds later the boiler comes on, finish shot, dump puck, grind, reload, go again. The grinder was slower and the only real limitation. I don't see how the S1 won't keep up. Its not a commercial double or triple setup but at 60 to 75 shots an hour assuming you have some more commercial grinder this puppy seems to be able to go full out all day long.
Vivaldi S1 and my buddy Rocky
miniwarmth

Post by miniwarmth »

Thanks PBL. I'm leaning more and more towards buying an S1.
Niko

Post by Niko »

I've pulled as many as 60+ shots on a few occasions. The only thing is that the machine tends to get very hot so you might need to drop the temp by a few degrees if you start cranking the shots out back to back with no rest.
miniwarmth

Post by miniwarmth »

I've pulled as many as 60+ shots on a few occasions.
Niko - i can't tell from your sig what model Macap/Mazzer grinders you are using, so I apologize for what might be an obvious question from the regulars: could your grinders handle that volume without getting too hot?

Also, I am curious about your thoughts on a potential upgrade path from a Mazzer Mini? Feel free to PM me if you think this is off topic.

tia,
Nik(sans O)
Niko

Post by Niko »

I use the MACAP MC4 Doserless and the Mazzer Mini E Type B Doserless. The MACAP can grind all day, the Mazzer just needs 1 minute rest for every 30 seconds of grinding - in other words, yes the Maz can go all day. The Mini has the same burr set as the Super Jolly, XL burrs make for the rest period.
I've never reached past luke-warm on the Mazzer and the MACAP got a little warm to the touch after grinding 6lbs straight through, it's a workhorse.

My upgrade path would be a Mazzer Robur (220V) in a doserless variety, you can probably grind meat and bones in that thing :wink:
miniwarmth

Post by miniwarmth »

Niko wrote:the Mazzer Mini E Type B Doserless....The Mini has the same burr set as the Super Jolly

My upgrade path would be a Mazzer Robur (220V) in a doserless variety, you can probably grind meat and bones in that thing :wink:
Okay, I have standard mini that has the 58MM burr set. Ohh...Robur(meow).
Niko

Post by Niko »

For some reason, Mazzer decided to drop 64mm burrs in the doserless Mini.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Niko wrote:For some reason, Mazzer decided to drop 64mm burrs in the doserless Mini.

I thought all the Minis had 58mm burrs same as the M4. The replacement burrs I've seen are all 58mm.
Niko

Post by Niko »

I just checked Chris' and EPNW to make sure.
Yep, the D'less Mini does indeed share the same 64mm burr set as the Super Jolly. The only benefit I see is speed unless someone else has any other idea as to why they did this...?

OK John, take it easy....I know what you're thinking :P
You'd probably yank that 64mm set out for something else and add a turbo charger to help the little motor crank out more torque for a set of large conicals, right? :wink:
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I'm not really a turbo fan, a supercharger would be more to my liking! :wink:
Niko

Post by Niko »

You always seemed like the naturally aspirated kind of guy :wink:
zoey

Post by zoey »

So, how does N20 fit into the picture? How much boost would you need for a d'less Mini? Would it be different from a doser? :D
Niko

Post by Niko »

You mean laughing gas? :lol:

Sounds like we need to street race the 64mm and 58mm burrs :lol::lol::lol:
Seems like I better make some stickers for my grinders...
"Boost is Best" and "I Hate Speedbumps".
zoey

Post by zoey »

"NOZ" as the kids call it these days. :wink:

(Unless of course they are inhaling it, which is then known as "whip-it's" :lol: )

Return to “VII General Q&A”