How long to wait between temp changes

If you have a question or comment specific to the VII that doesn't fit in any other VII category, submit it here.
ebprod

How long to wait between temp changes

Post by ebprod »

I want to play around with different temp setting to see if I can taste the difference. How long will it take for the machine to stabilize at the new temperature? Minutes? Hours?

Thanks.

-Joe
Niko

Post by Niko »

Pretty quickly, just minutes if I recall correctly.
You can drop the temp and wait a couple of minutes to get that temp and you can raise the temp and warm it to that set temp with a couple of flushes instantly.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I did quite a bit of temp testing yesterday & found that you did not get the new temp at the brew head until the 3rd flush. This was also true of the first shot pulled after the machine has been idle. If you wait several minutes after adjusting for the temp in the boiler to stabilize the brew head will cool down & you will still have to do several flushes to bring the temp up at the head. A 2-3 minute wait resulted in a 4* drop in water temp at the brew head on the first flush.
boldstep

Post by boldstep »

John,
What are you using to measure temperature at the group head?
Thanks
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I alternated between a Taylor 500*F digital probe & a digital kitchen thermometer. Each was inserted through the side of a cut down styrofoam cup which was held up to the B/H gasket. The probes were inserted half way into the cup approx 3/8" up from the bottom using the water from a standard double. Although the Taylor is much more expensive the K/T seemed to give more accurate readings. To be fair the Taylor was borrowed & I have no idea how old it is. Since I was mainly looking to document changes between flushes & overall consistency exact temp accuracy was not critical.

Return to “VII General Q&A”