Steam Boiler Issues -- and Gicleur Valve Question

If you have a question or comment specific to the VII that doesn't fit in any other VII category, submit it here.
mdmitch2

Steam Boiler Issues -- and Gicleur Valve Question

Post by mdmitch2 »

Hello Everyone! I'm the proud new owner of a s1 v2, purchased second hand a few days ago. The original owner purchased it from Chris Coffee in 2007... Anyway, the coffee boiler seems to work correctly, and I'm not getting any error lights. I was able to do the brew group/expansion valve calibrations and pull a shot with no issues. The problem I'm having seems be a result of the steam boiler not filling with enough water. The first symptom was that the hot water dispenser only dispenses a tiny amount of water, and then just steam. Also, the steam from the wand starts strong and then gets very weak after 15 seconds or so. I also drained the steam boiler and only about 12 oz of water came out (rough estimate). There seemed to be a good bit of scale on the boiler elbow connections, so I pulled those off and cleaned them up, but nothing seemed overly obstructed... just a bit gunk here and there. Then, I pulled the water level sensor and it was pretty thoroughly covered in a thin layer of build up, which I was able to scrub off pretty easily.

Finally, per this forum, I decided to check the gicleur valve for any obstructions, but I don't understand how to take it apart... I unscrewed the nut, under which there is a screw protruding which appears to be adjustable via flat heat screwdriver. I was expecting something to come apart when I removed the nut, but nothing did.... I tried wiggling the screw with some needle nose pliers to see if that would cause it to pop out, but it didn't budge. So, how do I actually get the gicleur valve apart? I've attached a picture of the valve with the nut removed.

By the way, the steam boiler inlet tube was seized up with scale at the elbow connection, and I ended up mangling it pretty badly in order to remove it and clean it out. So I haven't been able to verify if cleaning the water level sensor fixed the initial problem. On Monday I'll order a new tube/ferrule/insert from Chris Coffee, and probably go ahead and get some boiler gaskets so I can do a proper descaling.

Also, thanks for this wonderful forum..... it's been a valuable resource, and was definitely a factor in deciding to purchase the vivaldi over other machines.
Attachments
IMG_3848.JPG
IMG_3848.JPG (632.59 KiB) Viewed 5799 times
Futahaguro
Espresso

Re: Steam Boiler Issues -- and Gicleur Valve Question

Post by Futahaguro »

You cannot take it out with the control board in the way like it is in your picture. That is a needle valve so it requires space to pull it out. Once the nut is removed and the valve is loosened all of the way you can pull it out.
Expobar Office Pulser (12 years)
La Spaziale S1V1 2008+ (I just got it)
Rancilio Rocky Doserless (12 years)
La Spaziale Top Grinder (I just got it) (Macap M4)

Return to “VII General Q&A”