super noisy boiler fill?

If you have a question or comment specific to the VII that doesn't fit in any other VII category, submit it here.
az erik

super noisy boiler fill?

Post by az erik »

Any way around this? It sounds like a vibe pump filling the steam boiler, I have a S1 not a mini.
JohnB

Re: super noisy boiler fill?

Post by JohnB »

Shouldn't be any noisier then when you are pulling a shot. If the pump is noisy all the time check to see if the upper front pump/capacitor mount is contacting the frame crossmember.
az erik

Post by az erik »

Only when filling the boiler. Just got off the phone with CCS and was told pretty much the same thing, something contacting. Pump might have come loose, most everything else was in the machine.
az erik

Post by az erik »

sure was the cap actually hooked on the frame, this is really nicely quiet now.
az erik

super noisy boiler fill?

Post by az erik »

And we're back to rattling again :(
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

When I had that issue I had to bend the bracket slightly to get enough clearance to prevent rattling.
az erik

Post by az erik »

I think I found some of it, the boiler drain plug will smack the bottom of the case if I tap the bottom of the boiler. However there looks to have been a repair, possibly a bad one on one of the 3 way valves. I'm going to have to drain the boiler in order to get enough water with the case fully off to find this rattle. Sadly the group has to be to temp before I can refill the boiler so I have to either drain the boiler an hour before, pull the case then flip it back on or attempt to not burn myself with the group. I don't think its the pump or motor as shots are very quiet, it's only when refilling the boiler.
az erik

Post by az erik »

JohnB wrote:When I had that issue I had to bend the bracket slightly to get enough clearance to prevent rattling.
Are you talking about the frame crossmember where it's right next to the motor cap?
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Yes, the photo, 3rd row right, at this link clearly shows the cap bracket that can touch the cross member.
s1v2/S1vsVII.php
blgros

Post by blgros »

I recently had this problem--very noisy filling the steam boiler, but not noisy pulling shots. I figured that was good news, in that the pump was okay.

It turned out I had the water valve mostly closed down. So I guess the pump was struggling with water trickling in during the steam boiler fill, but the fill was slow enough when pulling a shot that the pump was okay.

Back to normal now with no loud, scary noises :-)
peter

Post by peter »

blgros wrote:
It turned out I had the water valve mostly closed down. So I guess the pump was struggling with water trickling in during the steam boiler fill, but the fill was slow enough when pulling a shot that the pump was okay.
When you say 'the water valve' are you referring to the little screw (gicleur) on the side of the solenoid valve before the tube leading to the steam boiler?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I think he meant the external water shut off valve. It you do that the pump cavitates and makes a racket.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
gene

Post by gene »

Have had the same prob past week on my S1. Uncommonly noisy during refiill. From reading the replies I'm slightly confused. Can someone summarize the replies a little more clearly?
A pic would be worth a thousand words but realize would have to take a few bolts loose to lift the top tray.
Thanks
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Are you saying you are too lazy to take a photo :shock: or are you requesting someone to photograph and post something for you? Taking the top cover off is just one screw.

There are a few different possibilities for the noise. If you could video the machine while it is making the noise so that we could hear what it sounds like, that would help.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B

Return to “VII General Q&A”