Group Gasket

If you have a question or comment specific to the VII that doesn't fit in any other VII category, submit it here.
eprolix

Group Gasket

Post by eprolix »

I have my VII running perfectly for nearly 3 years. Just noticed some water seeping around portafilter during the brew cycle. Does this typically mean I need a new gasket? If so, any thoughts on where to get the appropriate size?
Endo

Re: Group Gasket

Post by Endo »

eprolix wrote:Just noticed some water seeping around portafilter during the brew cycle. Does this typically mean I need a new gasket?
Probably. Does your PF handle go past the "straight out" position?

The Vivaldi comes with a spare gasket. Did you use it already? Also, did you try removing the existing gasket and flipping it over? (I do this once a year and I haven't needed to use my spare gasket in 2.5 years).

You can get a new gasket from anyone that sells Vivaldis (like Chris Coffee).
eprolix

Post by eprolix »

Never thought about turning the old gasket over. I may try that. Also was digging through my junk drawer in the kitchen and found that extra gasket that came with the machine. I should be good for at least 7.5 more years! :mrgreen:
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

The lifespan of a group gasket is influenced by a bunch of variables. Like you, mine is now almost 4 years old and still OK. However, I only use the machine in the mornings and am probably putting less than average wear on the gasket.

The material gets "cooked" over time and becomes hard and brittle so that it is less compliant and therefore less able to seal easily. Flipping the gasket will probably give you a bit of use, but I would just replace it and I think that you will find it easier to seal the portafilter using less effort because the new gasket material is more compliant.

Good luck,
Mark
Last edited by MDL on Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Running my S1V2 about 12 hours a day my group gaskets would be cooked in 8-9 months. I'm amazing anyone is getting years out of one.
boomdijk

Post by boomdijk »

What is the best way to change the gasket?

Anybody got tips?

Johan

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

With the screens and the dispersion disk removed you can usually pry it out with a small flat bladed screwdriver. That way it comes out intact and you can inspect it to see how bad off it is. If it is not already dried out and cracking you can usually get a few more months out of it by flipping it over.

If you have left it in so long that it is baked on, you will need to you an icepick to stab into the rubber and pop it out. Worse case, it may come out in several pieces. It's definitely better not to let it go this long.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
secuspec

Post by secuspec »

Use a small wood screw. Screw it into the gasket. In most cases, the gasket comes loose, so you can pry it out with a small flat spatula. If it does not help, use ore screws.

Return to “VII General Q&A”