Portafilter throat diameter?

If you have a question or comment specific to the VII that doesn't fit in any other VII category, submit it here.
Mizspresso

Portafilter throat diameter?

Post by Mizspresso »

Hi all
Have not been posting here for a long time. But now I need you and I am back :-P

I recently upgraded my grinder to a Mahlkoenig K30 and discovered much to my consternation that the throat of the portafilter will not fit into the pf slot of the Mahlkoenig and I can now only use it with the bottomless pf. There is a wider pf rest available, which has a 35mm opening.

Do any of you know if this will accommodate the Vivaldi PF? I know you guys have probably measured with calipers and all so am depending on your mechanical geekiness to help me out.

Thanks, -Barbara
oton

Re: Portafilter throat diameter?

Post by oton »

Your mahlko did not come with the two PF rest?
The wider accommodate without problems the LaSpaz PF's. The problem is that the mahlko PF holder it's designed for 58mm PF, so it does not hold the 53mm PF. :|
Mizspresso

Post by Mizspresso »

Thanks for the info.

I bought the grinder used and only got one holder with it. That's OK, I got a great deal on it so the extra $35 for the larger one (now I know it will fit) will not be too painful.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Mizspresso wrote:I recently upgraded my grinder to a Mahlkoenig K30 and discovered much to my consternation that the throat of the portafilter will not fit into the pf slot of the Mahlkoenig and I can now only use it with the bottomless pf.
Can you post photographs to help us understand the issue? I used a stock K30 with stock Spaziale portafilters without issue, so I wonder what's different with your setup.

The stock K30 portafilter holder, while designed for 58mm portafilters, even handles the little 49mm Olympia portafilters just fine.

Return to “VII General Q&A”