S1: Reducing Water Supply Pressure and 15 Amp Operation.

If you have a question or comment specific to the S1 that doesn't fit in any other S1 category, submit it here.
Johnnycappuccino

S1: Reducing Water Supply Pressure and 15 Amp Operation.

Post by Johnnycappuccino »

Hello everyone!
I am a new member and this my first posting on S1 Cafe.

I also bought my first espresso machine on Monday, December 3rd of this week! It is a used but very clean S1 Vivaldi (red 2005 edition ) that I bought from Craigslist Toronto, it came with a La Spaziale Junior grinder.
I don't know much about this grinder and wheather it is a decent grinder or not as i can't find much info or reviews on it. I do know that is made by Bregant for La Spaziale. Anyway I know it's not the La Cimbali Junior that I would really like but hey it's a start and coupled with the S1, not a bad start!
If anyone is familar with it, I'd really appreciate your opinion of it.

Anyway I have 2 questions about the new machine:

1. Reducing Water Supply Pressure

My understanding is when connecting to my residential water supply, I should use a pressure reducing valve that can lower the water pressure entering the S1 to 25psi. ****** Is this correct? ******

2. 15 Amp Operation.

As I have a small old 100amp (breaker not fuse) panel that I plan to change next summer and can't really wire in a dedicated 20amp circuit at this time. I plan to use the S1 in 15amp mode and have already opened it up and set the mini toggle switch inside to 15amps. I know the performance will be somewhat compromised, but as a beginner to using this or any other espresso machine for that matter I plan to take my time and learn how to use the S1 and learn how to make decent espresso and espresso based drinks. So anyway fellow S1 members my question is this:
** Does anyone have experience using the S1 in 15amp mode that might be kid enough to share their experiences and insights about this? **

Thanks Johnnycappuccino
Niko

Re: S1: Reducing Water Supply Pressure and 15 Amp Operation.

Post by Niko »

Johnnycappuccino wrote:Hello everyone!
I am a new member and this my first posting on S1 Cafe.
You are most welcome!
It's great to see you out of lurking... :thumbleft:
Johnnycappuccino wrote: 1. Reducing Water Supply Pressure

My understanding is when connecting to my residential water supply, I should use a pressure reducing valve that can lower the water pressure entering the S1 to 25psi. ****** Is this correct? ******
That's a good start. I have my machines running at 28psi but the incoming water does vary a bit below at times but never above 30.
A pressure regulator will take care of this.
Johnnycappuccino wrote: 2. 15 Amp Operation.

As I have a small old 100amp (breaker not fuse) panel that I plan to change next summer and can't really wire in a dedicated 20amp circuit at this time. I plan to use the S1 in 15amp mode and have already opened it up and set the mini toggle switch inside to 15amps. I know the performance will be somewhat compromised, but as a beginner to using this or any other espresso machine for that matter I plan to take my time and learn how to use the S1 and learn how to make decent espresso and espresso based drinks. So anyway fellow S1 members my question is this:
** Does anyone have experience using the S1 in 15amp mode that might be kind enough to share their experiences and insights about this? **
I ran one of my S1's in 15A mode for several weeks earlier this year. I didn't like it one bit only because I had a lot of experience with the machine already. It was a move from one room to another where I didn't run a 20A dedicated breaker so the machine was starved of some amperage (more like I was starved). The machine did fine, if you plan on making mostly espresso it won't make much difference - it was the barista that was impatient.
Others will chime in to tell you it's OK and I personally think it's a great idea for one learning the machine for the first few months anyway. You'll still enjoy most of the features except for steam boiler recovery time and pretty much anything that has to do with the steam boiler since the group gets priority. Like I said, take your time because the machine will still be faster than you for a while, when you notice that you are doing the waiting - it's time to unleash the animal behind that toggle switch to 20A.

Enjoy your machine!
15A or 20A, you have a very nice machine that will last you for a long time.
Johnnycappuccino

15 Amp Operation

Post by Johnnycappuccino »

Thanks for the speedy reply Niko. I thought about what you said about the S1 not liking 15 amp operation and opened up my electrical panel then moved one circuit which freed up space and allows for a dedicated 20 amp circuit for the S1.
Again thanks for the insight.
Johnnycappuccino
Niko

Post by Niko »

Nice!
Now post a pic of your setup on the pride page... 8)
nicfortin

Re: S1: Reducing Water Supply Pressure and 15 Amp Operation.

Post by nicfortin »

I run mine with a FloJet and on a 15amps circuit.
It is very easy to adjust your workflow (Barista skills) to get good result even for a small party.
Of course I tried it on 20amps and well it's like a commercial machine in a shop (almost ;-) )

Talking about the water inlet pressure...
Flojet give around 40psi and I don't see why the S1 should have prob with that. It's not 100psi we're talking, 30-40psi shouldn't be a prob for any plumb-in machine...
Usless there is something I don't know about the S1 system???...

nic

Return to “S1 General Q&A”