pour time

If you have a question or comment specific to the S1 that doesn't fit in any other S1 category, submit it here.
michael

pour time

Post by michael »

when i fill the double basket with 15 or so grams of coffee and tamp well, i still only get about a 10 - 15 second pour. i am grinding my beans with a mini mazzer electronic set a little bit finer than the factory setting. i have a brand new VII and haven't changed any of the settings or the screen configuration. so far i have used sant eustachio beans and the beans i received from chris coffee with the machine. i have lots of crema and no channeling. any ideas on how to get the perfect 25 second pour 8)
Niko

Post by Niko »

I grind WAY finer than the factory setting on my Mazzer.
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

What volume are you drawing in your 10 seconds? If the volume is low you may also need to increase the volume programmed on the button.

At 10 seconds are you getting blonding? (in other words what stops you at 10 seconds)
michael

Post by michael »

MDL wrote:What volume are you drawing in your 10 seconds? If the volume is low you may also need to increase the volume programmed on the button.

At 10 seconds are you getting blonding? (in other words what stops you at 10 seconds)
in the 10 to 15 seconds, i probably get 2 oz or very close to it; what stops me at the 10 - 15 seconds is the programmed dose on the double button of the machine ends; this is the setting as it came from the store; i havent reset it
michael

Post by michael »

Niko wrote:I grind WAY finer than the factory setting on my Mazzer.
how many marks finer that the factory mark
Niko

Post by Niko »

I go about 7 ticks finer, I'll post again when I confirm this but I get about 1.5 oz (or less) in 25 seconds. It mousetails very fine into the cup, remember I'm pulling ristrettos.
michael

Post by michael »

TomP10 wrote:My setting varies a bit day-to-day. This week I am pulling Malabar Gold blend at 5-7 notches finer than the factory setting.

- Tom
what temperature are you using for the malabar gold blend 8)
Niko

Post by Niko »

That's pretty much what I do.
For island coffees I roast a little lighter but I brew at 95. The darker roasts I brew at 93, some of the Centrals taste great at 94.
Martin

Post by Martin »

Niko wrote:I grind WAY finer than the factory setting on my Mazzer.
So do I on my Mini. This was not the case with my Isomac Tea. I'm grinding finer for longer (duration) and shorter (volume) shots. I also notice (in the 6 mos I've had the VivII) that freshness matters a lot. So I'm much more careful about my batch sizes when roasting. Seems to be a point after +/- 10-12 days that the shots want to flow much quicker. In some respects the Tea was more forgiving in these respects, although the shot quality declined--shots just looked better. Advice? Avoid very freshly roasted under 36 hours or over 9-10 days coffee. See if it makes a difference.
Martin
Niko

Post by Niko »

Martin,
I think it's the pre-infusion thingy we talked about a while back. It makes a shot look better, doesn't mean it'll taste better. I get this on my Anita, old beans still pour nicely but they don't taste "nicely".
You're right about the Vivaldi, it's a really sensitive machine with a "hair trigger".

Return to “S1 General Q&A”