What's Your Favorite Part of The S1?

If you have a question or comment specific to the S1 that doesn't fit in any other S1 category, submit it here.
Niko

What's Your Favorite Part of The S1?

Post by Niko »

Here's a good one called "What's Your Favorite Part?".

Just to break the ice with the recent website crash I'd like to start this thread by saying my favorite part of the S1 is most definitely the BBQ brush.
I thought it was the coolest thing to spend a couple grand on a nice espresso machine and get a free BBQ brush with my purchase. I mean come one, who would use this mammoth wire brush on their beautiful brand new machine? I would maybe use it on my Weber, maybe just the ones in the States ship with them.
OK, now for real, my favorite part of the machine is the weight of the portafilters. Spaziale means business when they make the heaviest ones in the business.

So what's your favorite?

(I know the wire brush is to be used on the screens when they're "off" the machine, but imagine the damage to your fingers if you miss)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Actually the wire brush is for the group head and the diffuser NOT for the shower screens. See FAQ on S1 Web Site. (But it still seems ridiculous!)
S1 Cafe Admin
http://www.s1cafe.com
Niko

Post by Niko »

Yikes!
I wouldn't get near my precious group head with that thing!
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I actually got (for Christmas 2 years ago) one of those round bristle brushes from Chris. They're great. The round brush end is replaceable and lasts about 9-10 months. The opposite end of the handle has a very small scoop that holds just the right amount of Cafiza for a back wash. Recently I noticed that EPNW also carries them.

After each espresso session, I run a blank shot. As soon as the water starts to run clear I get that brush working in the water stream and scrub the shower screens and gasket areas. I guess this qualifies as a "forward flush".
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Niko

Post by Niko »

Is it the "Pallo" brush?
You know, the one with the replaceable bristles. They screw right out so you can pop a new one in. Mine last about 3 months before they need replacing, they only last half that time on my E61 machine. If you're not quick enough with it, that goup melts the bristles!
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Yes, it's a Pallo brush. You must bear down harder than me, though I admit that by the time I replace the bristle head, it is really trashed :lol:

Great tool, though...
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Weska

Post by Weska »

Yes, the Pallo brushes are sweet, as brushes go. They are just a little tight in the channel of the group head that catches the flanges of the portafilter. I find that the sharp edges of that channel carve into the sides of the outer bristles of the brush. After a good many months, I expect that this will cause the bristles to splay outwards and force me to put in a new set. (Only had my machine about three months.)

That other brush, yes, is too crude for me to dare use on my S1. Might be good for car battery contacts. However, my S1 came from Bologna, which means that the barbecue brush is not something just for the US market.

In fact, with my three to four pulls a day I find the shower screens really don't get anything stubborn attached to them. Where I do find some harder to dislodge coffee gunk is one the side of the dispersion disc where the larger shower screen wraps around it.
Niko

Post by Niko »

We can almost start a thread on just the alternate uses of that wire brush.
Nice idea on the battery terminals.

Return to “S1 General Q&A”