S1 Year of manufacture

If you have a question or comment specific to the S1 that doesn't fit in any other S1 category, submit it here.
Hiro

S1 Year of manufacture

Post by Hiro »

Hi all, newbie here, just registered as I've got a chance to pick up a used S1. But before I do that, I need an important piece of information from owners here. And that's how to find out the year the machine was made?

I'll be checking out the machine in a couples of days time. Meanwhile, here's a pic of the machine.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443567998.224449.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443567998.224449.jpg (354.45 KiB) Viewed 9275 times
Owner claims she's had it for 3 years. But from the pic, it looks like the a version 1. The temperature markings are in 5 degrees increments. I've read that there are machines as new as 2008 that have the old markings but v2 boards. And that these machines can be made to display temperature in 1 degree increments by holding down a certain button.

Having the v2 board will be a gauge on a fair value for the machine. Of course, I can just try to get it into 1 degree display mode to see if it works. Question also is – Is there a visual indication when it goes into 1degree mode?

I thank you all in advance for your time. It would mean a lot for me to get this machine as I desperately need a prosumer machine to improve my shots but can't afford the big boys new at this moment.
Cheers.

Busy jazzsetting
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: S1 Year of manufacture

Post by chas »

Hiro:

You'd probably have to contact LaSpaziale and give them your serial number to know for sure but internationally the original S1 is still sold. In the US, Chris Coffee worked with LaSpaziale to design the S1 V2, but LaSpaziale still sells the S1 V1 in some parts of the world. Also, the covers on the machine in your photo have the logo embossed on the metal covers. This has only happened in the last few years. When the original V1 was introduced and even in the early years of the V2 the logo was a decal.

When LaSpaziale made the S1V2 for the US market they started using the same controller board for both the V1 and the V2 so this machine surely has the dual mode controller board. The quickest way to tell for sure is to unplug the machine and then plug it back in while watching the front panel. Either the yellow lights or the green lights will flash once to indicate whether the board is in V1 or V2 mode. If no lights flash then you do not have the dual mode controller. For instructions on changing the mode, check out the V2 User's Manual s1v2/V2%20Manuals/V2Owner'sManualRevG.pdf
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Hiro

Re: S1 Year of manufacture

Post by Hiro »

That's great information, chas, very very helpful! Thanks a bunch! And for the link too. I will be sure to share more on my s1 if I do get it.

Busy jazzsetting

Return to “S1 General Q&A”