Why do I get water leaking out at the edge of naked portafil

If you have a question or comment specific to the S1 that doesn't fit in any other S1 category, submit it here.
SimonSoCal

Why do I get water leaking out at the edge of naked portafil

Post by SimonSoCal »

The past two days I noticed toward the end of the extraction there is a noticable streak of water leaking out from the edge of the naked portafilter.

I tried to switch a difference [double] basket and still have the same result. The water is clear so I assume it is not coming from the inside of the basket. My dose is typical 15-16g , not heavy on the lock or too soft...just enough to secure the portafilter to the group. The water definitely running on the edge and more certain its coming out toward the end of the cycle...say around 22sec or so.

Is that a sign I should change the group gasket? It looks pretty new and clean. I have not try with a different portafilter yet...thinking I might not be able to detect the leaks as well with single or double spourt.

Appreciate the advise.

EDIT: To Moderator, I don't know what did I do wrong, but I meant to post this on the general Q&A and not on VI. Please free feel to move it to the right place. Thank you.
Endo

Re: Why do I get water leaking out at the edge of naked port

Post by Endo »

Sounds like the gasket. If you haven't done it already, just remove the gasket, flip it over and re-install. Should solve the problem.
SimonSoCal

Post by SimonSoCal »

Thanks Endo,
I was wonder does it have to do with a change of disperson block [golden piece]-a different impression on the rubber gasket? I brought a new one as the advise of Jeff and change it along with shower screens. Thus, I have two set for cleaning purpose.
Endo

Post by Endo »

It has nothing to do with the brass dispersion block or screens (these sit entirely inside the basket when the PF is locked in).

The only sealing surfaces are between the basket rim and the rubber gasket. If there is a PF leak, that is the only place water can come from.

It either means your basket rim is warped (try another basket) or the rubber basket has become grooved and brittle over time from prolonged exposure to heat.

If you leave your machine on 24/7. The gasket lasts about 6 months. If you turn your machine off daily, it'll last twice as long.

Return to “S1 General Q&A”