Vivaldi Mk 1?

If you have a question or comment specific to the S1 that doesn't fit in any other S1 category, submit it here.
qwerty69

Vivaldi Mk 1?

Post by qwerty69 »

I've been thinking of getting a Vivaldi for quite some time, but in the UK the price of both the mini and mk 2 make this a bit of a pipe dream.

I have however seen a mk 1 (I think) for a somewhat reasonable price 2nd hand and was wondering what you all think? Would a mk 1 be a sound investment or do the upgrades to the mk 2 make a huge difference and would I be short changing myself by getting a mk 1?
sakurama
Espresso

Re: Vivaldi Mk 1?

Post by sakurama »

Check the links on the site for S1 mk1 and mk2 differences but you'd still do well with a mk1. I bought a mk1 for a good deal and then built it into a mk2 over time and for less than the cost of a new mk2. I think I put up a thread of the rebuild here under Vivaldi Pheonix.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
www.gregorhalenda.com
Bob_McBob
Macchiato

Post by Bob_McBob »

This is a well-timed post. I have an opportunity to buy a good condition V1 for a pretty reasonable price. I own a Duetto, but I'm sort of curious to see how the other side lives or something ;-)

I'm a little concerned that the original Vivaldi is kind of left in the smoke of the current model, with no pre-infusion, degree-controllable temperature, and all that. You mention that you replaced the control board and essentially made your V1 into a V2. How much did it end up costing?

Edit:

Reading around, I see the original Vivaldi does have single degree resolution, it just displays to the closest 5 degrees. Am I correct in saying it *doesn't* have programmable pre-infusion and temperature offset? Does a control board upgrade add these features?

Is there any functional difference between the 15/20 amp switch in the V2 and setting the "econ" mode, or is the internal switch just meant as a more permanent way to change the setting? I assume a 20 amp V1 can be run off 15 amp service in econ mode with a plug adapter.

I gather there are other assorted changes like the dual pressure gauge, four hole steam wand, upgraded temperature sensor, etc. I'm trying to get an idea of what's worth modifying to get a V1 similar to current specs if I want a machine to mess around with and possibly re-sell later. They are $2500 new here, so I don't really see myself buying a new one just to check it out. It was a toss-up between the Duetto and Vivaldi when I bought my machine a year ago, and I've always been curious about the other machine I almost bought.
Bob_McBob
Macchiato

Post by Bob_McBob »

Looks like $350 for the control board, and maybe $100-200 for other assorted items like the pressure gauge. This doesn't include any assorted bits and pieces like gaskets. Unless you're getting a steal on the V1, I guess it might be better to hold out for a used V2, though used machines don't come up that often. This is the only Vivaldi I've ever seen used in Canada.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

It might be worthwhile if you got a really good deal on a V1. It might be more interesting to pick up something completely different from what you currently own. A Lever??
Endo

Post by Endo »

Buying 2 double boiler machines? :shock:

For the same money, wouldn't you be better off with a paddle GS/3?

Where do you live in Canada? I might be able to suggest a few places where you can try out a Vivaldi for free.
Bob_McBob
Macchiato

Post by Bob_McBob »

It's not that I think I need two dual boiler machines. I'm quite interested in the technical aspects of making espresso as well as the coffee itself, and I love to play around with different machines. It's unfortunate the used market in Canada is so dead. For this Vivaldi, I was thinking I might buy it, do some upgrades, hang on to it for a little while, then sell it at cost, just to have a machine to mess about with for a while. It would also be awesome to have a machine at work, but that would necessitate another grinder purchase, and I'm probably not going to drop that kind of money to have coffee at work (already have a Technivorm installed :grin:). It's too bad it's not a V2; it was made in 2006, so it must have been purchased right before the switch over.

I also find myself looking at other machines that would be a lot of fun to own and use, but not necessarily smart buys. The low Euro has made the Elektra A3 pretty damn cheap from espressocoffeeshop, and there's always lever machines like the Ponte Vecchio Lusso or the new Bezzera commercial machine 1st-line is selling for $2k.

I really, really considered throwing in the towel and giving in to the GS/3 fantasy when the price was so low last year, but I have reservations about the value at $6500. Of course, what makes more sense, a $6500 top of the line machine, or $6500 in 2-3 cheaper machines? I think most people would probably say the former.
oton

Post by oton »

Bob_McBob wrote: The low Euro has made the Elektra A3 pretty damn cheap from espressocoffeeshop
:shock:
€2200 is damn cheap? Are you rich? Adopt me, please! :love5:

What makes the Elektra more expensive than the Vivaldi?
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

The current Euro value only accounts for $300 of the savings on an Electra A3 from Espressocoffeeshop.com. You could have bought it there for $3000 anytime during 2009. The reason it seems "cheap" is that the U.S. importer has marked up the price on all Electra espresso machines excessively. Go back two years & the A3 was selling for under $3500 in the U.S.

Interestly Jim @ 1St Line is selling the latest Elektra Nino for only a few dollars more then Ecs.com. Of course at $2400 the Nino is no bargain in the 68mm Conical class. In the Conus you can have 2 K10WBC 68mm conicals delivered to your door for that price.
Bob_McBob
Macchiato

Post by Bob_McBob »

$300 more tempting :-P I know their price has been a lot better than any of the US resellers since the big increase, but the Euro *is* particularly low now, which makes most of the stuff they sell noticeably cheaper than last year.
Endo

Post by Endo »

For Canadians especially.........

With the US and CAN dollar almost at par.....it's also a good time to buy one from Chris Coffee. Too bad they are out of stock on the Mini though.
Bob_McBob
Macchiato

Post by Bob_McBob »

The 9% duty on top of your sales tax kind of kills any benefit. If you get it from Caffe Tech, you only pay PST outside Alberta, which makes the Mini about the same price, and the V2 actually cheaper.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

If anyone does decide to upgrade an S1 to V2 specs I have a brand new S1V2 dual gauge I'd sell for half of CC list + shipping.
Endo

Post by Endo »

I may be interested. How much are you asking (I can't seem to find it on the CC site).
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Endo wrote:I may be interested. How much are you asking (I can't seem to find it on the CC site).
I sent you a PM.
qwerty69

Post by qwerty69 »

So the machine I've been looking at is definitely a v1 and I think the consensus is that it'd be a sound buy if the price is correct.

The one I'm looking at is £600 which i feel is a little high as it has a cracked side panel but I may make a lower offer and see how things go.

Return to “S1 General Q&A”