disassembly for fan noise fix

If you have a question or comment specific to the S1 that doesn't fit in any other S1 category, submit it here.
ebprod

disassembly for fan noise fix

Post by ebprod »

My S1 is about 3 years old, and has always had the whining fan when the boiler kicks in. I would like to fix it, but how much disassembly is necessary to get at the fan? It looks like it is buried in there pretty deep. My plan is to raise the fan using small washers, and align the fan with the holes to make it stop making noise.

-Joe
Dodger1

Re: disassembly for fan noise fix

Post by Dodger1 »

Aside from the responses from our forum users, you might want to email service at CC and ask them the same question.

service@chriscoffee.com

Keith
ebprod

Post by ebprod »

I just realized I posted this in the V1 forum- my machine is a V2.

-Joe

ebprod wrote:My S1 is about 3 years old, and has always had the whining fan when the boiler kicks in. I would like to fix it, but how much disassembly is necessary to get at the fan? It looks like it is buried in there pretty deep. My plan is to raise the fan using small washers, and align the fan with the holes to make it stop making noise.

-Joe
Endo

Post by Endo »

There were quite a few discussions on this forum a few years back with people having fan noise issues. Lots of disassembly pictures too. Seems it had something to do with the close alignment of the holes with the fan if I remember correctly. I think it's been fixed on the production models with a slightly different spacer/mounting arrangement.

Do a search for "fan" or "fan noise" and you'll find lots of reading.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

The V2 doesn't require any additional spacers to quiet the fan. Just loosen the mounts & move the fan so it is centered over the holes. Mine was quiet from new but others have had to realign the fan over the holes.
ebprod

Post by ebprod »

I figured out that I can loosen the fan from underneath. That will make experimentation a little easier. My fan is quite noisy- I can hear it from across the room. How quiet should I expect it to be?

-Joe
JohnB wrote:The V2 doesn't require any additional spacers to quiet the fan. Just loosen the mounts & move the fan so it is centered over the holes. Mine was quiet from new but others have had to realign the fan over the holes.
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

Mine is a relatively newer models, after most of the posting of the "whirling fan" and presumed factory fix, and it came with a bad case of the whirl. I do not think that there was any change to the design... but what do I know.

I could not realign the fan to make the noise go away as there was very little looseness in the attachment screws and holes

Anyway. Not much dis-assembly required. Just adding steel washers between the fan and the frame cleared the noise completely. Remove the drip tray, the steel shroud piece on the right of the machine and undue the fan bolts from under the frame. Do not remove the screws (there hard to pull out and even harder to put back in), pull the crews up and insert a washer or two (I put two) under then slip the screw back down and tighten with the nuts from under.

Do it. It is easy and it takes the noise away completely.
Vivaldi II, Multiple (a collection really) Lever machines
Currently on deck grinders: Mythos and MXKR
Backup grinders: Robur, Major.
Toper Cafemino Electric and Poppery 1 roaster

I have a serious problem ... Can you guess what?
ebprod

Post by ebprod »

I put washers under the fan for spacers. It only made a minimal difference in the sound. I wonder if it is the fan itself that is noisy- are there replacements available. Seems like it would be easy to change.

-Joe
slo wrote:Mine is a relatively newer models, after most of the posting of the "whirling fan" and presumed factory fix, and it came with a bad case of the whirl. I do not think that there was any change to the design... but what do I know.

I could not realign the fan to make the noise go away as there was very little looseness in the attachment screws and holes

Anyway. Not much dis-assembly required. Just adding steel washers between the fan and the frame cleared the noise completely. Remove the drip tray, the steel shroud piece on the right of the machine and undue the fan bolts from under the frame. Do not remove the screws (there hard to pull out and even harder to put back in), pull the crews up and insert a washer or two (I put two) under then slip the screw back down and tighten with the nuts from under.

Do it. It is easy and it takes the noise away completely.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

ebprod wrote:I figured out that I can loosen the fan from underneath. That will make experimentation a little easier. My fan is quite noisy- I can hear it from across the room. How quiet should I expect it to be?

Mine was so quiet I removed the front cover soon after I received the machine to make sure it was even working. At most you should hear a very quiet whirring sound but it shouldn't be noticeable without listening closely. You would think that the holes in the base pans would be stamped out & identical from machine to machine but we are dealing with Italian accuracy here. If you've ever owned Italian cars or motorcycles you know what I'm talking about.
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

ebprod wrote:I put washers under the fan for spacers. It only made a minimal difference in the sound.
Did you put two washers at each screws? This will give it more space. I do not know if it would make a difference but it is what worked for me.
JohnB wrote:You would think that the holes in the base pans would be stamped out & identical from machine to machine but we are dealing with Italian accuracy here.

I think that it is the accuracy of the plastic fan body that may be more at cause here but you may be right. Injection molded plastic parts can be very variable.

chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

For my fix I actually screwed another bolt up against the body of the fan and that bolt became the spacer between the bottom of the fan and the chassis. So that's definitely thicker than a single washer, probably equivalent to at least two washers, maybe three.

The stock screws aren't that long so I actually replaced them with the next longer size screw so that enough of the shaft stuck through the bottom to be able to get another nut screwed on.

Using a nut instead of one or more washers has another advantage. It's easy to get the fan back into position in close quarters without the washers falling off!
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

You are right Chas.

I forgot that Indeed I had to change the bolts because they were too short to get 2 washers (or a secondary nut). It was an horrible process to try to get the fan back with the bolts stuck in place by the secondary nut. Slipping two washers taped together is easier in my opinion.

JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I wonder if La Spaziale subbed out some of the assembly work to LM ?? :twisted: Mine must have been built in house.
ebprod

Post by ebprod »

I spaced the fan about 1/3" from the bottom before the noise finally quieted. I can still hear if from several feet away, but I have to listen for it now. And the air raid siren sound is finally gone.

Thanks.

-Joe
slo wrote:You are right Chas.

I forgot that Indeed I had to change the bolts because they were too short to get 2 washers (or a secondary nut). It was an horrible process to try to get the fan back with the bolts stuck in place by the secondary nut. Slipping two washers taped together is easier in my opinion.
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

Glad it worked out for you. :grin:

Return to “S1 General Q&A”