Pressure readings

For generic information on making espresso alt.coffee, coffee geek, Sweet Maria's web site and many others excel at this tutorial level of information. However, if you've been there and done that but have specific questions and concerns about getting the best espresso on the S1/VII/Mini-VII/Dream/Dream T, post those topics here.
toddnix

Pressure readings

Post by toddnix »

I just upgraded from an Isomac Millenium to the an S1V2 2 weeks ago.

Still trying to work on my technique - that 53mm portafilter and lack of preinfusion is causing more of an adjustment than I expected.

My question is around brew pressure. My pressure reads about 1/2 bar lower while flowing free with no portafilter vs a portafilter with coffee or a blind filter.

Is this expected behaviour or should the pressure reading be the same regardless of flow resistance?
Niko

Post by Niko »

That sounds normal from what you're writing.
My VII bar pressure goes higher with a blind basket vs. coffee and vs. an empty basket, etc..

In other words, free-flowing water = not a very high pressure reading. Coffee = about 8.2 bar on mine. And with a "real" blind basket (not the rubber disc that ships with the unit) registers well over 9 bars from what I remember on mine.
My other S1 (original VI) - I have no idea since I never put a portafilter-style gauge on it, yet (might fit it with a dual manometer when I get around to it).

My E61 machine does the same thing (and it has pre-infusion).
It slowly builds up the pressure and the more it gets choked with a tightly packed puck, the more the pressure builds up. I've seen it strike aound 12 bars when it hits a brick wall. I've never choked this machine, the puck gets blasted to bits before it happens.
I think this machine can push the S1 through its portafilter!
krus

Post by krus »

Where do you get a metal blind filter for a 53mm basket? I haven't been able to find one.

Kurt
ScottW
Espresso

Post by ScottW »

krus wrote:Where do you get a metal blind filter for a 53mm basket? I haven't been able to find one.
EspressoParts in Seattle carries a blind basket for the S1:
http://www.espressoparts.com/product/SP_11
Niko

Post by Niko »

It's WAY BETTER than the rubber disc in my opinion, I use the same one Scott is talking about. The pressure build up when I backflsuh is so intense that I get shot with water if I don't stand back.

Clear....
Fire in the hole!!

Return to “Pursuit of the God Shot”