Using the single basket...

For generic information on making espresso alt.coffee, coffee geek, Sweet Maria's web site and many others excel at this tutorial level of information. However, if you've been there and done that but have specific questions and concerns about getting the best espresso on the S1/VII/Mini-VII/Dream/Dream T, post those topics here.
italyhound

Using the single basket...

Post by italyhound »

I am noticing so far that my double basket - using my standard coffee - takes about 15-16 grams and produces the 1.5 oz shout that I prefer. My wife likes lower volume shots - about 1 oz.

I wouldn't even know where to dream up how to work with an underdosed basket and thought I should use the single for her. I haven't tried it but it seems like a much maligned item - why?

I would think it would be easier/better for her to use a full single basket with similar grind settings than fill the double basket and cut off the extraction early giving her a low volume ristretto with whatever flavors are accents early on. With her - ease is key. I am much more amenable to the "process"

thoughts?
Niko

Post by Niko »

The single basket does have a stigma attached to it, I don't know why either. I think because we, as Americans, are accustomed to "bigger" so that's why we dose everything in abundance. In Europe they dose singles with 7oz. and here we dose singles as 8-9 grams and we drive SUV's. I guess the doubles fit our cupholders better too.
Singles are harder to get a nice pour when compared to a double it seems, we're all just so busy pulling doubles (or 2 singles at the same time) that we lose our finesse with the single. T
he whole game changes with singles.
I would use the single basket and portafilter without the spout so you can get an even tamp easier.
italyhound

Post by italyhound »

Niko

This has been working out well for us, thanks.

Evan
Niko

Post by Niko »

You're welcome.
Glad to hear that you are enjoying your machine.

Return to “Pursuit of the God Shot”