Break in time for Super Jolly Burrs

Discussion of coffee grinder hardware. How to get the most out of specific grinders. Cleaning and maintenance issues with grinders. Comparison of different grinders.
Pryz

Break in time for Super Jolly Burrs

Post by Pryz »

What's the normal break in time? Everyone talks about the nice fluffy grinds a SJ produces. I must admit I wasn't PVR impressed out of the box. Maybe my recent switch to the deeper La Spaz basket has skewed my idea of volume in the basket, but the grinds didn't seem very fluffy. After 5 to 10 pounds through it, they seem fluffier. Maybe it'sy imagination. Anyone else have a similar experience?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Break in time for Super Jolly Burrs

Post by chas »

I have had several Mazzers. For me the break-in time usually meant that for the first pound or two I had to continually adjust the burrs toward a finer grind to keep the pour longer than 25 seconds. My current Mazzer Kony had the most extreme break-in. It must have been a full quarter turn from the zero markings at first and took several months to settle down. Now my typical grind is just a bit finer than the zero point.

Perhaps this is more typical for grinders with conical burrs. My other Mazzers all had flat burrs and their break-in zones where much smaller.

I can't say that I noticed any quality difference in the grind during the break-in period, just that I had to continually adjust the grind toward finer.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Pryz

Re: Break in time for Super Jolly Burrs

Post by Pryz »

You are right about the continual adjustment to finer for a few pounds. Pretty steady now. Unless I change beans, of course.

Return to “Coffee Grinders”