Iced Espresso

All things beans. Discussions about green and roasted coffee beans - where to purchase them, how to roast them, how best to grind them for the S1/V2/Mini/Dream/Dream T. Also, discussions about grinder and roaster hardware.
David23

Iced Espresso

Post by David23 »

Had an inquiry about how I make iced espresso, so I'm sharing it here. While my wife likes capps, and I make them regularly for her, I am all over the iced espresso. My drinks aren't really special or exotic, but I think they taste pretty good. I simply pull a 1.5 -2 oz. shot, and pour it into about 2.5 oz. milk which has been poured over ice. Swirl a couple times, and enjoy. No sweetener required. When a local barista makes them for me he calls them a "crack rock". If I have made a capp for my wife just prior, I use less milk in mine, and dump the last of the foam in the pitcher from her capp into my "rock". Makes it even better!! Hope someone else enjoys them.
slo
Barista

Re: Iced Espresso

Post by slo »

Thank you for the suggestion and recipe. I am convinced that my wife will love it (with a little sugar).

The leaves are turning red and the days are such that we, at my northern latitude, are so inclined on cold drinks like an iced espresso! Brrrr! We will keep the idea in our back pocket. Warm days will come back. 8)
Vivaldi II, Multiple (a collection really) Lever machines
Currently on deck grinders: Mythos and MXKR
Backup grinders: Robur, Major.
Toper Cafemino Electric and Poppery 1 roaster

I have a serious problem ... Can you guess what?
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Thanks for posting that David, I'll try one today with the Klatch Belle I've been drinking. Did you ever figure out the Shakerado or is it pretty much the same with a little sugar? Less milk?
David23

Post by David23 »

John, I never got a straight answer on the Shakerado, and could not get a good look when they were making them. I think it is simply espresso and milk, shaken hard in a cocktail shaker with ice, but poured out without the ice included. It should be slightly foamy. I believe there is no sweetner added, assuming the shots are pulled well. I haven't really messed around with it, as I am happy with the drinks over ice. I'm afraid I'd be drinking way too many Shakerados if I figured out how to make them like they do in Rome.

As for adding sugar, I used to add some Monin to sweeten my iced espressos, and couldn't imagine drinking them without it. However, in Italy, I found I never needed any sweetening, and I was tasting these wonderful subtle flavors of the espresso I had never tasted before. When I came home I started to figure out how to pull shots that were not sour or bitter, and found I didn't need sweetener anymore. Now I never use it, only because it doesn't need it. I find I can taste the actual bean flavor now, not sweetening, even through the milk. Perhaps because there isn't a ton of milk in the drink.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

David23 wrote: As for adding sugar, I used to add some Monin to sweeten my iced espressos, and couldn't imagine drinking them without it. However, in Italy, I found I never needed any sweetening, and I was tasting these wonderful subtle flavors of the espresso I had never tasted before. When I came home I started to figure out how to pull shots that were not sour or bitter, and found I didn't need sweetener anymore. Now I never use it, only because it doesn't need it. I find I can taste the actual bean flavor now, not sweetening, even through the milk. Perhaps because there isn't a ton of milk in the drink.

I went through quite a bit of Monin when I first got the S1V2 but haven't used any in over a year now. I've even gotten my daughter off the syrup although I will add a little honey to the milk before I steam it for her lattes. I drink mostly straight shots & find most will leave a naturally sweet aftertaste long after its gone if I've done my job well.
David23

Post by David23 »

John,
I think it is probably a combination of pulling a good shot that doesn't require sweetener to hide the errors, and "learning" to enjoy the true flavor of the coffee. My wife used to require a good dose of sweetener in her capps, but has learned to enjoy the more pure taste of unsweetened capps that I make her now.

I don't often drink straight shots, but when I do, I prefer them without sweetening for the same reasons you mention.
David23

Post by David23 »

Here's the Granita I had in Rome. Frozen slushy espresso, layered with whipped cream. The perfect alternative to gelato!!! Packed a serious punch!
IMG_7412.JPG
IMG_7412.JPG (53.04 KiB) Viewed 15094 times
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

Hi!
I wasn't really drinking iced coffee drinks until I read about Murky Cafe recipe, then I just hahd to try it. Yet still I didn't like the result. Until recently I tried it another time - it was the weather, unusual heat that put me into the topic this time.
I made an iced americano with Papua New Guinea Kimel Peaberry - gosh! it tasted so great!!
Simply I brewed a triple into room temp water, actually - brewed it to a separate cup because I wanted to taaste it - and then added ice. Totally loving it!
Orangy-juicy-icy, medium intense drink, wonderfully chilling.
I took a photo: http://tiny.cc/jb77d :smile:
I put it up for an interactive photo contest, where one can invite friends to rate the works - and so if you like, you can vote for my photo from 'not cool' to the 'absolutely rocking', which it is, of course - Thanks!
MichaelN

Post by MichaelN »

I made iced cappuccinos for some guests over for a pool party recently. I simply threw some ice in the blender, added several double-shots of espresso, some whole milk and then a bit of chocolate syrup. Blended on high until smooth; and they looked and tasted great. Next time I'll have some whipped cream on hand to dress them up a little in the glass.
Endo

Post by Endo »

It may be too sweet for some (me included), but if you want to make a version like the one at Tim Hortons, try adding 2 tbsp of hot chocolate mix and 1 tsp of vanilla. These are the 2 secret ingredients that make all the difference. Higher fat milk makes it richer as well.

Return to “Coffee Beans, Grinders, & Roasters”